Steinberg UR44

How to use MultiTrack DAW
jcamp4

Steinberg UR44

Post by jcamp4 »

Using with Steinberg UR44, had to do the firmware update- Seems to work well.
pwnified

Re: Steinberg UR44

Post by pwnified »

Thanks for the info. Looks like a pretty sweet interface. Were you able to get all 6 inputs recording at once?
jcamp4

Post by jcamp4 »

Have not tried yet but i know it works with two - will let you know when I get a chance.
DavePDX

Post by DavePDX »

After a year of love/hate with my Presonus 1818VSL, I decided to give the Steinberg UR44 a try.

WOW, am I glad I did! This is a fantastic interface, which works flawlessly with my iMac, iPad 4, and iPhone 5s. While I lost a couple of inputs and the expandability of the 1818VSL, those losses are insignificant for my needs, and the gains are nothing short of spectacular.

Here are some highlights:

- 4 high quality Mic preamps (combo sockets) + 2 line inputs (with switchable sensitivity), phantom power, up to 192kHz sample rate, 4 line out plus 2 main out, 2 headphone jacks with independent mixes/volume
- terrific sounding built-in hardware effects including Reverb, Compression, EQ, and multiple Guitar Amp fx, plus phase and hi-pass filters on each channel.
- Channel linking
- Can be used as a STANDALONE Mixer (no computer or iOS device required!) Once you set it up with the computer or iPad, it will remember those settings when used alone, including channel strip and effects.
– no USB hub required, just plug it in directly with a Lightning to USB adapter
- Class Compliant Switch (which must be used for iOS compatibility)
- settings can be managed with their free iPad utility:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dspmixf ... 62295?mt=8
You can save multiple scenes, which can then be loaded on the fly.
- very compact, and built like a tank

You must be running the latest firmware to use this with an iPad/iPhone. Firmware updating requires a computer.

The sound quality subjectively seems better than the 1818. Having channel strips in hardware really speeds up my setup time, and lowers the resources needed by MT.

The negatives:

- The interface is not bus-powered, so while it's compact, it's not fully portable. I believe it could be run off a battery pack, though, as the power supply is rated at 12V 1.5A
- The reverb is terrific sounding, but as far as I can tell, unlike the other built-in effects, it can't be passed to the DAW. However, it can be used during recording to help the performer, and increases the value when used as a standalone mixer.
- Syncronizing user presets between the iPad and a Computer is difficult and clumsy. It would be better if the user presets/scenes were actually stored in the unit, but it's hard to complain, with all the unit does

All in all, I love this thing!