Crash after recording - any way to recover the wavs?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Snapsting

Crash after recording - any way to recover the wavs?

Post by Snapsting »

Tonight I had multitrack crash on me unfortunately, whilst recording my band practice. I was using the internal mic on the iPad, with the input turned to about -10db for a rough room recording. Record had been running for about 1.5 hours, but just after i pressed stop the app crashed. On reopening the app, the wav couldn't be recognised and it reverted to the previously saved state, which was a new song file with no tracks :(

Anyway, I just wonder if there's any way of reclaiming the wav, as it's probably sitting in the iPad somewhere, unrecognised.

I realise long recordings aren't really what this app is for, but it's the only one I've found with a decent input volume control for recording with the internal mic (which gives surprisingly good results if you just need to hear the ideas in a practice environment back again).

Thanks
pwnified

Re: Crash after recording - any way to recover the wavs?

Post by pwnified »

A Wav file really needs to be closed properly for it to be a valid file, this is because the wav header has size information which gets written when the file is closed. So upon opening the song again, multitrack probably deleted the bad wav file unfortunately, when it saw that it had a zero length.

I've been working on a filespace checker, which will automatically stop recording when the device gets low on filespace. This will eliminate any crashes due to running out of space.
Snapsting

Post by Snapsting »

Unfortunate. The one and only time Multitrack crashes on me is the one time where I could really use what was recorded!

I wasn't getting low on file space (64gb iPad was not even half full) and have successfully recorded for longer within multitrack before. Like I said, this is the first crash I've had, is it related to recording length? Can we debug?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Actually if it crashed just after pressing stop, there is a good chance that the wav files were closed properly. Look in the Bin browser (song tab) and if you see any bins in red, that means they are unused but still there and can be transferred out directly using wifi.

If they are not there, it's still possible to recover them, by making a disk image of the iPads memory and undeleting them, but this isuch more involved.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

If possible could you send me the crash reports? I'd like to know what happened and why it crashed. Check this link for how to find them: http://aplus.rs/apple/how-to-find-crash ... ta-and-xp/
Snapsting

Post by Snapsting »

I had a look for a crash log but there wasn't one. When I say the app crashed, it didn't exit, it just produced an error dialog about a second after I pressed stop, I forget what it said exactly now, but something along the lines of "audio failed". The app was still on screen. As I'd read on this forum that the app isn't supported to record for lengthy periods of time, I thought I'd reached some kind of soft limit. Would be great if we could get support for long recording (1 hour plus). I'm surely not the only person who would make use of the feature!

There were no files in the bin when I looked in the bin browser. Thanks for the help tho anyway.