midi recording

How to use MultiTrack DAW
ajramirez

midi recording

Post by ajramirez »

I've got a boss Dr. Groove drum machine. It's got midi and RCA output. Can I use multitrack to record the Dr. Groove if i get a midi or RCA adapter for the 3GS iphone? Or do i need to hook the Dr. Groove to an preamp/reciver and external speaker and then record with the iphone mic?
pwnified

Re: midi recording

Post by pwnified »

I'm not aware of any midi devices I could develop for, without signing my company away to some third party. Unfortunately Apples policy on third party hardware is quite strict; they don't allow more than one company to develop software for the same external hardware. I've considered building a midi device myself for the iphone, but then I couldn't license it to other developers either so there isn't really a huge incentive to do it. So until the day comes when apple changes their policy, there will be no midi options for MultiTrack.

To record the drum tracks without midi, you could use an external microphone which also functions as a line input, like the Belkin TuneTalk, Alesis ProTrack, or wait for the new Blue Mikey. See the input options thread in this forum for details.
iPad730

Post by iPad730 »

I did some tests with usb midi devices and think the M-Audio UNO USB-Midi Interface will work with the iPad. It's Class Compliant. The iPad powers it up and when connected to my mpc on a midi channel it will transmit data. You can see the activity light blinking when pads are pressed. All it would need is midi channels to be implemented in a app.

With the new 2.0 you don't really need midi. It would be nice but if your recording sequenced tracks one at a time, you don't.

To record your Dr Groove get something with a "line input" like the griffin tunetalk and the proper cable and you should be set.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Interesting. I'll definitely be looking into USB midi options if this works. Thanks!
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Guys at apple have confirmed that there is NO usb midi support right now. But maybe later, we can hope anyway.
iPad730

Post by iPad730 »

I know Apple got their rules and don't know if it applies to this or not, but i read that Line6 has released there SDK for the Line6 Midi Mobilizer.

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2010/05 ... -here.html
"There are still limitations with the closed nature of the iPad and Apples's software development model, but at as of this moment it is now officially possible. I asked my contact if there would be an SDK for MIDI Mobilizer and not only did he say yes, but it is available now and developers are already working with it."

Midi Implemented in this DAW would be sick, but I mainly want it for synth apps like Minisynth to be sequenced with my MPC and Hook the iPad up to my Novation Nova and Controll the midi parameters with OSC or similar. stuff like that.

Great Job on the update BTW! I'll be doing a youtube review on it soon.
Question: Is my in store purchases safe if I ever have to restore my iPad with no backup file?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

iPad730 wrote:I know Apple got their rules and don't know if it applies to this or not, but i read that Line6 has released there SDK for the Line6 Midi Mobilizer.
Yes I looked into that exact product. However the contract makes it so that they become the distributor of MultiTrack, with a cut. That's what I meant about 'signing away my company' above. They seem like a reputable company but I'm just not going to do it.
iPad730 wrote:Great Job on the update BTW! I'll be doing a youtube review on it soon.
Question: Is my in store purchases safe if I ever have to restore my iPad with no backup file?
Cool, thanks!

Yes the store purchase should be safe (the iTunes store should always remember all purchases for an account). However it is recommended to back up the device after purchase so that the proper upgrade can be displayed in MultiTrack.