Two questions: volume control, stereo input for guitar

How to use MultiTrack DAW
spatzi

Two questions: volume control, stereo input for guitar

Post by spatzi »

One feature i really miss is the ability to adjust volume and pan on 'each' piece of recording within a track. Often i will have many takes of a bass solo, or punch ins, and the volume is not consistent on all the pieces. I also have used all 8 tracks and there is no room to move the 'low' volume parts of the solo to a new track.

Is this feature ever going to be implemented? It is standard on even ancient guitar pro software i used on my pc since 2002, so I am a bit surprised not to see this function on a daw app in 2012.

Second question:

I used to use my podxt live plugged into laptop (usb out to usb in) to do all my guitar recording. The sound was great. Full stereo.

Now, i bought an apogeejam interface ($100) for the podxt live to use for the ipad2 in multitrack daw. Of course, i now have to use 1/4 inch plug output (mono) from the podxt to the apogeejam.

The sound is nothing like what i got on the laptop using ancient guitar pro software. I only get mono and there are no dynamics. My guitar patches which sounded amazing on guitar pro from podxt usb out, now sound terrible in comparison. Is this because of it now being mono? Or is is because i am not able to use the usb to connect?

Is there a stereo interface guitar adapter available? Or a way to go from usb of podxt to usb on ipad to get the same quality of sound i had on laptop recordings using guitarpro?
Keith

Re: Two questions: volume control, stereo input for guitar

Post by Keith »

As far as the second question, have you tried plugging your podxt USB out into a camera connection kit into your iPad? If the podxt is class compliant there is a good chance it would work. You might try plugging in your headphones first then he cck so the output will not go out the USB output.
spatzi

Post by spatzi »

Keith wrote:As far as the second question, have you tried plugging your podxt USB out into a camera connection kit into your iPad? If the podxt is class compliant there is a good chance it would work. You might try plugging in your headphones first then he cck so the output will not go out the USB output.

Tried the camera kit. Not compatible.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

The apogee jam is more intended as a mono guitar input. That said, it's high a high impedance input so it should work ok with most outputs (line level and others) going into it. Try setting up a clean guitar tone on the podxt and play with the output levels, and the input level on the jam, until all clipping is gone. MultiTracks IN should be at zero dB. The apogee jam should be able to handle the dynamic range if the controls are set properly.

Of course if the podxt is putting out stereo, it's always going to sound better recording it in stereo. With iPad and CCK you have a lot of options.
spatzi

Post by spatzi »

pwnified wrote:The apogee jam is more intended as a mono guitar input. That said, it's high a high impedance input so it should work ok with most outputs (line level and others) going into it. Try setting up a clean guitar tone on the podxt and play with the output levels, and the input level on the jam, until all clipping is gone. MultiTracks IN should be at zero dB. The apogee jam should be able to handle the dynamic range if the controls are set properly.

Of course if the podxt is putting out stereo, it's always going to sound better recording it in stereo. With iPad and CCK you have a lot of options.
I have no problem outputting the podxt into apogee jam into ipad. I just wish i could get the full stereo output of podxt into the ipad. The sound difference between recording to laptop with podxt via usb and ipad via apogee is huge. It's such a difference at this point that i am considering going back to laptop recording and guitarpro software. I really wanted to do all my recording on the ipad and it was one of the main reasons i bought one.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Lets break it down -

The previous setup:
Guitar -> podxt(A/D) -> digitalConnection -> record

The new setup:
Guitar -> podxt(A/D) -> analogOut(D/A) -> Jam(A/D) -> digitalConnection -> record

Not to mention it's now mono instead of stereo. So, there are a lot more conversions going on with the iPad setup, since the podxt can't connect digitally through USB. To get the pure sound of the podxt, you must find a way to get the digital output into the iPad directly. There are some interfaces with spdif input, such as the Lexicon Omega. Does the podxt have digital outputs (spdif/optical/adat/etc)?