A list of what DEFINITELY works?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
jkevinwolfe

Re: A list of what DEFINITELY works?

Post by jkevinwolfe »

Update: Both the Cakewalk and Blue Yeti stop working once the iPad battery is below about 90%. So as mentioned above, a powered USB hub may be required to make these larger USB devices really practical.
iPad730

Post by iPad730 »

^^^ Well that sucks. My Behringer works fine under 90%. I'm surprised that the Cakewalk works in the first place, being that its 24bit. I Didn't know the iPad could handle 24 bit audio.??

Cakewalk is also missing a Monitor on-off button.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

jkevinwolfe wrote:Update: Both the Cakewalk and Blue Yeti stop working once the iPad battery is below about 90%. So as mentioned above, a powered USB hub may be required to make these larger USB devices really practical.
I've been trying to run down the iPad battery to test this, so far it's at 74% and still works. You might want to try rebooting the iPad and see if you can get it working again, it should be fine and I'd be really surprised if this wasn't just a one-off thing. Although stranger things have happened. I'll report here if I can get it to fail.
jkevinwolfe

Post by jkevinwolfe »

After working some more with the Cakewalk, it's cutting out sometimes even when plugged into a powered USB hub. I'll restart my iPad the next time without the USB hub and see if it's just not one of those iffy connections through the camera connector.

I'm not sure that I'm recording 24 bit. I know that the Mac OS does 24 bit for GarageBand and Logic, but I had read that the iOS only does 16 bit recording so I'm betting it's converting down. Can anyone elaborate on that?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

24 bit is currently not supported. The conversion takes place on the hardware, where the signal is probably dithered and sent over the wire.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

jkevinwolf did you ever figure out the problem with the cakewalk? I have a user complaining about the power warning with the UA-1G, when I looked at the product page at roland http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... uctId=1089
It shows it draws 200ma of current, which is far and above the 100ma cutoff point. I haven't tried the product myself so just wondering if it's going to work without the powered hub.
jkevinwolfe

Post by jkevinwolfe »

Pwnified, it's hit or miss. Some days I plug the cakewalk in and it works fine. Others I have to plug it in a few times and sometimes it cuts out. No logical pattern to it. The good news is that it works most of the time. I also have the same issue still with the Yeti but as with the cakewalk it's only occasionally.