A list of what DEFINITELY works?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
alphadingo

A list of what DEFINITELY works?

Post by alphadingo »

Is there a list of what mics/interfaces definitely work in multitrack? It looks like a great program.
jorgren

Re: A list of what DEFINITELY works?

Post by jorgren »

Assuming you've checked the Input Options and Microphones thread, several have been tested successfully.

(1) my home-made cable has been tested by me and another person
(2) I believe the Behringer USB box has been tested
(3) line-level connection through a Belkin TuneTalk mic (it has a stereo input jack that bypasses the mic) makes very clean recordings. EDIT: It works fine as a mic too, of course.

Note: the iPad and iPhone4 will work only with USB input because they lack analog audio input.
Last edited by jorgren on June 23rd, 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

I think we have to be very clear from here on out that MultiTrack will work on three different platforms when it comes to audio interfaces: the current iPhone 3/iTouch models, the iPad, and the iPhone 4. I see over at the Studio Track fourm that Sonoma's new GuitarJack will not work with the iPad and iPhone 4 because Apple altered the dock connector spec on these models.

So the Blue Mikey version 1 we have been using will cease to work if you get an iPhone 4 or iPad. This probably explains why the new version of Mikey has been pushed back to at least July. Blue has to decide whether to build the new Mikey for the iPhone 4/iPad or stick with the iPhone 3/ iTouch connector. This has to drive manufacturers crazy and it also is an impediment to the creation of audio interfaces and devices for Apple products.

This also means the Alesis ProTrack won't work with an iPhone 4.

Fred
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Yes. I'm sure the mikey2 will probably be manufactured, but it's gotta suck when your product is not forwards compatible (so it limits the number of sales). All those mics we bought specifically for the iphone are going to be completely useless in a few years. Everyone is going to get an iphone 4 though, and blue does have a lot of USB devices.

UPDATE: List of working devices moved to Input Options thread
http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

pwnified, my assessment of the TuneTalk is slightly different. It's a bit weak in bass and the stereo image is also weak. But the overall sound quality is very clear and I'm happy enough to use it for field recordings. Plus the line input is awesome.

I just added a slim dock extender from ValueOutfitters, so now I can have line input and earbud monitoring at the same time with my iPod Touch, and this is very helpful. I connect the line output of my guitar pedal to the TuneTalk, TuneTalk to extender, and extender to dock port. At the same time I plug in my earbuds and voila, I can record guitar and hear it along with the backing tracks, courtesy of Multitrack DAW.

I don't know whether using a USB input device will allow earbud monitoring. Can anybody confirm that?

Oh, and thanks for the info on the new guitar interface. I'll take a look and report.
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

Well, now I see what Sonoma have been doing while NOT doing any development on their recording app. That GuitarJack looks AWESOME.
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

I checked out the M-Audio MobilePre and it looks like the ticket. Amazon is selling them through Musician's Friend for $99, which is $50 cheaper than other places. I ordered one.
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

M-Audio MobilePre looks pretty large for a pocket studio setup, but feature-wise it's good.
fgrittner

Post by fgrittner »

Yes, the footprint is a bit larger but I could see putting it, an IPad, two mics, headphones, and two cables in a small bag. Bring along two collapsible mic stands and there you are.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

jorgren wrote:pwnified, my assessment of the TuneTalk is slightly different. It's a bit weak in bass and the stereo image is also weak. But the overall sound quality is very clear and I'm happy enough to use it for field recordings. Plus the line input is awesome.
Yea sorry about the one word reviews. I said "bad" mainly because I was having a problem with gain, I couldn't seem to get any kind of volume out of the thing with the AGC turned off. But the bass response was somewhat better than the macally and the protrack. The Blue Mikey had the best bass response by far.