A list of what DEFINITELY works?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
yep

Re: A list of what DEFINITELY works?

Post by yep »

OK great. So, will the line input via the headphone jacks work?

Not trying to be a pest, but just bought this cable - it connects through the headphone jack - will it work? KM-IPHONE-43F35F

Thx!
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Yes, the mono microphone input on the headphone jack works on the iPad and the iPhone 4. The line inputs are something else. If this cable works with the iPhone 3GS, it should work with the iPhone 4. I say should, because I don't know for sure, I haven't tried the cable mentioned. If the standard iPod/iPhone headset works on an iPhone 4, this cable should work also.
yep

Post by yep »

Ok - I was worried b/c all of the cables out that I saw like the irig say they don't work for the iphone 4 - maybe they don't work for line in.

I will report back on that cable then.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between line in & mic input on the iphone - stereo or not?

Thx for your help.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

The difference is mostly impedance, microphone inputs having a high impedance and line inputs being low, so noise levels are different (high impedance inputs are susceptible).

That cable you mentioned looks like a pass-through cable, but I could be wrong. If it's passthrough (i.e. just a cable, no active or passive components) then it might not work with specific types of microphones. I mean, whether it works or not and whether iOS selects it as an input source, depends on what you plug into it.

Hope this helps.
yep

Post by yep »

Y, big help - thx.

I am holding on to my iphone 3gs just so I can use your fantastic program! I hope I can find a solution.

Keep up the good work.
shannong

Blue Yeti 5v power requirement handled by iDevices?

Post by shannong »

Hey pwnified, two questions for you, since you tested the Blue Yeti (which looks really great from a feature perspective):

1. Did you encounter any problems powering it from an iPad's camera connection kit? Since the entire thing is powered by USB and is also powering your monitoring headphones, just making sure you didn't notice any power issues with the thing.

2. Does MultiTrack DAW have any issues performing sample rate conversion from the Blue Yeti's native 48000 signal to the 44100 sample rate you use in your audio tracks? I know dithering the bit rate is usually the more resource-intensive process but I'm still unsure of how well the chipset used in the iDevices can handle on the fly sample rate conversion and dithering.
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

pwnified, thank you for the clarification. YEP, I just discovered the other day after messing around with my kvconnection cable that it has a 1 kohm resistor across the mic input, which you will need to remove if you want to build my guitar cable or plug a normal mic in through the kv cable. I don't know why they would do that. As a matter of fact, I'm going to change my recommendation on the whole thing. Because the kv cable also has a right angle plug at the iPhone end, it's incompatible with some cases such as my Otterbox.

I think the best answer is to buy a cheap earbud/mic which is meant for iPhone - I got one at Target. Select one with a nice thin connector at the iPhone end. Also buy 2 stereo 3.5mm inline jacks (available at Radio Shack). Cut the connector from the earbuds (leave plenty of wire on it!). Solder it up from scratch. Note: the wires in the earbud will probably be like the one I got - hair-fine, with colored enamel insulation. Thank goodness you don't need to strip the individual strands - hit it with liquid solder and the enamel burns away. In the one I got, there were 3 identical ground wires, all yellow. The mic was blue and the earbuds were red and green (sorry, can't remember which was which). I essentially rebuilt the kv cable, keeping only the female 3.5mm connectors, which I could have gotten much cheaper at Radio Shack. All the wire was from the earbuds.

There are a couple of important differences between mic and line inputs. Actually, the mic input on the iPxxx devices is quite a low impedance, something like 2 kohms, versus a typical "line level" input which is usually something like 10 kohms. However, the most important differences are signal level (the mic input expects a very weak signal compared to a line input), and DC voltage (the iPxxx puts 2.8 Volts out of its mic input).
yep

Post by yep »

Jorgren - thx for the info.

Not being a solderer myself, will the kv connection cable work at all or just not as well the way it is made? Any other solutions I can use that don't require soldering? Or could I perhaps pay you to fix me up? ;)

Thx
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

IK Multimedia Amplitube iRig should be out in the next couple of weeks. They tell me it's active, so it's probably similar to the cable I drew above. Also, the RiotFX guy will probably be releasing an active cable soon. I wish I could hook yuou up myself, but my life is pretty crazy. It literally took me months to get the parts and the time together to solder up the prototype.

Good news is, two other posters in this forum have copied my cable - perhaps you could persuade one of them to start selling them. :-) I'd be more than fine with that.
yep

Post by yep »

Ok, great.

But what does that mean for the cable I'm getting - that my signal will be too hot? Will I be able to use it at all? I'm just making some demos, so it's not super critical to have perfect sound.

Thx!