Song icons not present upon upload

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Adam

Song icons not present upon upload

Post by Adam »

Hi Pwnified,

I am trying to upload songs. Specifically, my own scratch mixes (from Ableton Live) from within Itunes. When I click to upload a song it does show that data is being transferred, but then nothing. No icon appears to indicate that the song is available for editing in Multitrack on the "Songs on Multitrack" Page on the iTouch.

I am using a 3rd gen 64GB iTouch. I have recorded several songs on it previously and had no trouble transferring them to my desktop DAW via wifi. I also had no trouble uploading a few of my own songs using the same method. This was all using Multitrack 1.1. This problem is my first attempt to upload in 2.0. Again, downloading to my Desktop via wifi is fine. Airport mode is on. Wifi is enabled. I just did a bunch of downloading to my desktop without trouble (in 2.0), and I did leave one song present on the "Songs on Multitrack" page.

I did try a few different song types including .mp3, mpeg audio file (isn't this .mp3?). I also tried to upload a commercial song from iTunes (Archie Roach, "Reach for you" -- a great tune), with the same result of no icon. I also tried dragging a song from iTunes to my desktop, then uploading from desktop. Same result.

Do you need other info?

Thanks for a wonderful program.

--Adam
pwnified

Re: Song icons not present upon upload

Post by pwnified »

There are 2 different upload options: Project, and Bin.

Project
To upload a "project" (from the "Songs on MultiTrack" page) it needs to be one that was previously downloaded (in zip format). This is currently used for backup as it contains all the song settings (pan, mute, volume) and region data, as well as the audio bin data. Essentially an entire song in a zip file.

Bin
To upload an Audio Bin, please use the "Upload Audio Bin" from within the song. Once the Audio Bin is uploaded to a song, you can access it using the Bin Browser.

Hope this helps, and apologies for the docs not mentioning this yet.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sorry, but I'm still not getting it. Within a song, I can get into bins and see the editable samples. It is clear that I can trim the start and stop points, but I don't see a place where I can import something from outside Multitrack into Multitrack from this page. How do I find "upload audio bin"?

I do now understand that I can only use the "songs on multitrack" page to upload songs previously downloaded (and zipped) from Multitrack.

Thanks again,

--Adam
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

From the WiFi page for a song, there is a section labeled "Upload Audio Bin". Use this to select an audio file, and then hit the Submit button, and the audio file should be uploaded to MultiTrack. Now in multiTrack, open the song that you just uploaded into. Use the hotbox to open the Bin Browser, and you should see the bin you just uploaded in the list. If you select the bin, it will expand to show the waveform. Use the button labeled "Region Copy" to copy it to the Pasteboard, now close the Bin Browser, and use the Hotbox to paste it onto a track.

I know it sounds like a lot, but it's actually pretty quick once you get the hang of it.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Got it! I was just stuck in nonproductive thinking. I thought I had to upload a new song into the file of an existing song. I was neglecting the big + button on the "Songs on Multitrack" page on the itouch. Once I realized I could create a song with nothing in it, I was able to go into that song on the wifi website and do the upload audio bin trick. Everything else went smoothly.

BTW, it was so nice to take my itouch to a quiet place this afternoon and belt out 6 songs using the Mikey. Multitrack really is a great program. I hope you keep having fun developing it. Thanks for your time on this question.

--Adam
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

No problem. You've reminded me the importance of good documentation which needs to be completed. Also, I've just changed the default for when you install multiTrack for the first time; a song will be created and loaded. And, all new songs will get a track rail automatically added.