How to Maintain alignment of bins during download

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Adam

How to Maintain alignment of bins during download

Post by Adam »

Hi Pwnified,

Like a bad penny I'm back. I just made several more songs with great success while taking a long walk. Wonderful! This was stuff I could only do at my desktop in the past. Thanks to your help, I have successfully downloaded and uploaded songs and feel comfortable with that basic operation. Now I want to download clips (bins, I think) to my DAW that don't start at the beginning of the song without having to realign them when I drag them over. For example, I made a song (based on an uploaded rhythm track labeled track 1) with two tracks (numbered 2 & 3), in which I used a call-and-response format, with maybe 16 bins/files used over those tracks. If I use bins to download, I have to align each of those files in the respective track when I download it. Not close to optimal.

If I download using Tracks, I run into problems. It often downloads tracks from the previous song I was downloading, an entirely different collection of audio clips under a different computer file name. I think I remember you talking about the unreliability of the Tracks download feature, but I cannot remember where.

Any enlightenment to share?

--Adam
pwnified

Re: How to Maintain alignment of bins during download

Post by pwnified »

The tracks download is what you want, to maintain alignment of all the bins in a track. I haven't seen any issues with the download feature on 2.0+, in fact all the issues with the Wi-Fi flakeyness on pre 2.0 have disappeared. Can you explain more, and a method of reproducing this?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I think I see what you're talking about, I'm looking at this now
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Ok it was a bug there. Tracks were downloading old versions left over from the temp folder. I'm going to do another maintenance release tonight, and this bug will be fixed and submitted along with it. Thanks for letting us know about this!
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

I'm such a moron. We do have zoom - pinch zoom of course! I will try to get my bins lined up this evening, using the zoom, and I'll report back.

Speaking of alignment, I'm having some trouble. I've pasted a bunch of clips in from ThumbJam. I just want to reassemble them similar to the way they were in that app. The problem is that I'm limited by both the precision of the screen and the precision of dragging. I can't see when they are precisely aligned, and I can't quite do it by ear either, because I simply can't drag in fine enough increments. We desperately need zoom; in the meantime I can't make a song at all.

Here is more detail. I have repeating bins (manual "loop") on three tracks. Track 1 is snapped to the beat (bin is 2 bars long). Tracks 2 and 3 require the bins to be non-aligned to the measures, in order to align their sounds with Track 1 (That's just how it worked out in ThumbJam). When I line things up as accurately as possible (with Snap OFF for Tracks 2 and 3), the gap between repeating bins on Track 2 or Track 3 is uneven, even though the bins are all pasted copies of the same thing. I get the impression that the waveforms on the display, and the bin boundaries, don't precisely match the actual audio contents.
Last edited by jorgren on June 29th, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks for hunting and finding something, too, Pwnified. I experimented and found that I could work around the issue using tracks as you suggested. I'm not entirely sure how, but tracks are working fine now. I think I just enter a new url into the wifi each time there has been a problem, and everything works after that. Nice to hear that you were able to isolate a bug from this report, though.

Oh, is there an upper limit to the number of songs available on the song list menu? I've got 26 on there now with no trouble. I'd be happy to double it. BTW, someone else suggested getting rid of the icons in exchange for a file list with file names. I think I'd be in that camp, too. Although eye candy is always nice, functionality is even better. It's all icing, though. 5 more songs...In August I have to go back to my day job.

--Adam
Adam

Post by Adam »

It looks to me like 36 songs files fit on the Multitrack select songs page (2 pages of 18 songs each).

--Adam
jorgren

Post by jorgren »

Sorry for the slow report. I have found that with pinch zoom, I get my bins all time-aligned very easily. Good job pwnified.