LATEST UPDATE 3.1.6.2

How to use MultiTrack DAW
spookyzoo

LATEST UPDATE 3.1.6.2

Post by spookyzoo »

So after your cool updates of 3.1.6 and then 3.1.6.1....everything was working very well.

I was experiencing none of the problems that 3.1.6.2 was created to fix.

That was until I updated.

Now I'm on 3.1.6.2 and I can't even open the app.

Got a warning that my files have gone too? (please no!!!)

Is there a way for me to back up my 4s to MULTITRACK DAW 3.1.6.1, because when I look at itunes restore my only option appears a factory reset...anybody know how to restore from back up....google hits are all misleading. :(

Hope all is well soon.
Ariesax

Re: LATEST UPDATE 3.1.6.2

Post by Ariesax »

Same here help! :(
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

UPDATE: Apple has a fix for 3.1.6.2, please just update the app again by clicking the "Update" button in iTunes, or on the device. You DON'T need delete the app first, just update it if you want to save your songs.

The 3.1.6.1 version also had this problem, but only for an hour after its release. The 3.1.6.2 update was created to force a download for people who might have got the corrupt version.
Unfortunately the 3.1.6.2 update also had this problem and it's even worse (for 3 or 4 hours after release the binary was corrupted). So a much greater number of customers are affected.

Looks like it's a widespread problem:

http://www.marco.org/2012/07/04/app-sto ... t-binaries

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12 ... aries.html

The version 3.1.6.2 on the app store right now, is good, but it needs to be re-downloaded again.

Unfortunately, if you already have that version, it wont let you download it again unless you delete the app first, thereby also deleting all your songs.

If you don't have songs you need to keep, you can simply delete the app and download it again and it will work. If you have songs, please do a backup in iTunes, delete the app, re-download, and restore from backup. I'm looking into an easer way and I'll write it up in a few.
EDIT: KEEP THE DEVICE CONNECTED TO ITUNES DURNING THE ENTIRE BACKUP AND RESTORE PROCESS
Some of the instructions at goodreader are relevant:
http://www.goodreader.net/gr-3150crash.html

My deepest apologies, if I manage to get someone from Apple to respond, I'll post it here.
spookyzoo

Post by spookyzoo »

App is working :)

Tracks have gone :(

I was persistently trying different combos...deleting app, hard reset, soft reset, before/after etc, and on about the dozenth go it worked, I was about to post the combo....but it looks like I just got a healthy download after the 3-4 hours of corruption.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

If you delete the app off your device, you WILL LOOSE all your songs. It will even issue a warning to this effect and allow you to cancel the deletion. Please make sure to do a backup in iTunes first.

To do a backup, right-click on the device (on the left hand side of iTunes), and select "Backup". This will backup all the data, for all the apps on the device. After the backup, you are safe to delete the app and re-download again, or to update the app in iTunes and sync it back to the device (you'll have to check the box for syncing the MultiTrack app again).
EDIT: LEAVE THE DEVICE CONNECTED TO ITUNES THROUGH THIS ENTIRE PROCESS

I'm going to make yet another update (3.1.6.4) and submit it to apple for expedited review. Once approved, I will hold off on releasing it to the app store, until I'm sure that this app store bug is fixed.

I want to mention that this has been an absolute nightmare from a support perspective. Trying to get support from Apple is impossible. All emails go unanswered and there is no way to get an inside line into the extremely opaque company. I filed bug reports for the App Store on their bugreport.apple.com, still unanswered. I used whatever contact forms are available for support, nothing. As soon as I saw that many apps are affected, I seriously felt a sense of relief, because if angry birds is experiencing this problem then it has to get fixed quickly. Apple has now acknowledged the problem.

MultiTrack depends on having good reviews and all the (understandable, yet frustrating) 1 star reviews are destroying its reputation. It's frustrating because people use 1 star reviews as a way to get the developers attention, but can destroy an app in the process. Trust me, developers are listening, whatever the rating. Understandable because customers don't have a lot of choices for support when using iTunes. Frustrating because customers use the review system as a way of getting support, which doesn't work. I have no idea who those customers are, so I can't offer support there or respond to iTunes reviews because of the disconnect between iTunes and its customers.
Thatbastarddon

Post by Thatbastarddon »

Silly question:
I backed up my iPad, also copied all of my projects to a folder on my desktop as well.
I ejected my iPad from iTunes, and deleted MTDAW. I downloaded the current version from the app store, and verified that it initiates properly. I plugged my iPad back in to the computer to resync, and *iTunes immediately backed my iPad up* again. Now i can not seem to find any other back up of my iPad that contains any MTDAW data.
Is there any way to get the projects i copied earlier from the folder on my desktop, back in to MTDAW on my iPad with or without using iTunes?
ITunes will only see the files(audio) within the project folders, and it does not recognize the project folders as acceptable files for transfer.
Is there a way around this, or must i rebuild any of the projects i may wish to continue working on from scratch?

I am not overly concerned, as i did not have massive quantities of unfinished work involved, but i am curious.

Don
Edit: sorry, perhaps I should have started a new thread, but hopefully someone will learn from my error.
Also searching more thoroughly through the forum posts for an answer. Panic mode off/
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Thatbastarddon wrote: I ejected my iPad from iTunes, and deleted MTDAW.
That was probably the problem. Looking at the instructions that goodreader posted:
http://www.goodreader.net/gr-3150crash.html

Says you shouldn't disconnect the iPad during the entire process. This whole thing is just getting messy and confusing.

If you are one of the ones that got a corrupted app download, I'm not going to recommend trying to fix it. The one on the app store currently is GOOD, however if you can wait a couple days for this to sort out, it's better and safer to avoid data loss.
Thatbastarddon wrote: Is there any way to get the projects i copied earlier from the folder on my desktop, back in to MTDAW on my iPad with or without using iTunes?
Yes, zip the folders and drag the zips back into the documents folder. You should now be able to see the zip files in MultiTrack and tap them to unzip. You might want to then delete the zips to save space on the device.

This is probably the safest way to backup your songs without relying on Apples weird backup process, but you wont be able to drag the song folders out of the iTunes MultiTrack Documents folder unless you have MultiTrack version 3.1.6 at least, and you've run the app at least once.
Thatbastarddon

Post by Thatbastarddon »

I'll never know if unplugging was the problem unfortunately...iTunes overwrote and deleted the "good backup" because i had not set it to "prevent ipods...from syncing aytomatically" in preferences>devices tab. :oops: But i can see it now, that it would have probably made no difference... :oops: and i should have followed the directions more dilligently.

Knowing full well just how inept i can be with these things, i am happy to have dragged everything to my own spot to back up. Your advice re: zipping the contents of the copied song folders, and naming them appropriately was exactly what i needed! Flawless!

Thank you again,

Don

:D
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

It looks like Apple has a fix for the US store right now. Anyone with a bad app should see the "Update" button enabled again. Apple seems to have also removed all the reviews for the current version. So again, apologies to everyone involved with this whole fiasco. I need a break, I can feel my blood pressure in my eyelids. All should be good now...
Thatbastarddon wrote:Your advice re: zipping the contents of the copied song folders, and naming them appropriately was exactly what i needed! Flawless!
Cool, yeah that feature seems very well placed for the time that this happend.
spookyzoo

Post by spookyzoo »

Take that break! :)

I wonder what kind of apology you'll get from Apple....if any?