Tascam iXJ2

How to use MultiTrack DAW
anfirmor

Tascam iXJ2

Post by anfirmor »

Ive been having some thoughts on input devices and methodology for my 4s. Heres a long rant!

Tha Tascam iXJ2 input device for ios has just appeared. Now, at last, an audio adapter seems to tick all the boxes for me at a sensible price. At the moment I have a Tascam IM2 and a Line6 Mobile In. I am also running the last version of ios5 on my 4s and I have the phone jail broken to run the camera connection kit fix.

Here's my thoughts

Tascam IM2
It's a really nice stereo mic. Well behaved and quite enough for such a device and the capsules are lovely. The limiter is almost essential for the application, a real take saver. The ability to charge while in use is also handy. But it has no line input, no HiZ input and is limited by its physical position, in the dock connector. I know extension cables are available but it's not the solution.

Line6 Mobile In
Works ok but I've never figured out how to select the appropriate input. The Line6 app is a bit tatty for such a high profile company. It has no mic inputs or level adjustment. No limiter. You can't charge while in use and it's a bit flimsy. Also, since audiobus I've been using JamUp ProXT which is fantastic. 24bit recording is enticing but for a mobile device is it really as useful as a limiter?

Jail braking for camera connector
When I first got the camera connection kit to work with the iPhone 4s I was jubilant. Stuff Apple and their controlling stupidity. I still feel like this but, after a while I have modified my view. Here's why. I never wanted to jailbreak my device. I don't trust it deep down. I didn't like the failings of ios6 but those problems are lessened with recent apps appearing (google maps for one) and I don't like other apps not working with jailbreak. Also I don't like being behind the times. BUT. Here's the big one. Yes I can get USB audio devices to work. Samson GoMic (noisy), Behringer guitar thingy among others all work perfectly. However none of these were designed to run off a phone battery with low current circuitry. and so they soon suck the life out of the poor phone in record time. Not ideal

So the Tascam iXJ2 ticks all the boxes for me. Dual mono/stereo line in, dual mono/stereo mic in with individally switchable power for electret capsules, individual gain controls, linkable limiter. Ok it's only 16bit 48kHz but that's fine for the use. I can use my two modded AKG C1000 mics with batteries fitted for some stereo recording, hopefully. So I'm getting one!
WAIT. There's no guitar input, I hear you cry. True but as there is capsual power available. I feel an active guitar cable coming on but I'm lucky enough to work in electronics. Perhaps I'll post a wee schematic later.

If there are any holes in my reasonings please feel free to shoot me down.

Back to the original idea. Mobile recording.