Monitor input with speaker on iPod Touch?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
monitorman

Monitor input with speaker on iPod Touch?

Post by monitorman »

Can the iPod speaker be used to monitor input? The feature list on the main website says "speaker/receiver output selection switch (for iPhone)". Does this mean there is no option to monitor via the speaker on the iPod touch?

thanks!
pwnified

Re: Monitor input with speaker on iPod Touch?

Post by pwnified »

The speaker/receiver selection switch was intended for iPhone. On the iPod, you can monitor with the internal speaker, but not if you have headphones plugged in. And you need at least a headset to record because the iPod lacks an internal microphone. So once you plug in the headset, audio is routed through it, instead of the internal speaker.
monitorman

Post by monitorman »

Thanks for the reply! I'm wondering if my input cable might mimic the "headphones-plugged-in" state and keep me from monitoring via the speaker. Do you have an opinion on this? Here's the cable...

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=151

thanks again
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

It's not possible to use an external microphone and the internal speaker at the same time. Or, at least it shouldn't be possible. The iPhone was a special case with the receiver/speaker switch (Speaker Out in multiTrack), and there was a side effect of switching this switch would make the audio be split up like you are asking. That bug/features has been fixed in iOS4, so now it's all or nothing again like it was intended to be. Apple made it clear that the act of plugging something in is a gesture, a gesture letting the system know that you want to use the new device you just plugged in (which includes both input and output in the case of the headset port)

MultiTrack has removed the speaker/receiver switch in the menu for all devices except iPhone, as it stopped doing anything on iPod. And it ended up switching between internal/external audio on iPad, which was causing confusion. Hope this helps.