How do you enable a track to record stereo

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Thomas

How do you enable a track to record stereo

Post by Thomas »

Hi all,

I have an iAudiointerface and just purchased MultiTrack. How do you enable a track to record a stereo source. I have several instruments that produce a stereo image and it would be great to be able to capture. I have seen dual level meters in screen shots, but I don't know how to set up. I'm sure it is something ridiculously stupid that I'm doing/not-doing. I have setup my iAudioninterface for input for "stereo unbalanced" (which disables the microphone). I believe this is all you need to do. Consequently, MultiTrack should "see" that a stereo source is connected and allow a stereo enabled track. Any help would be appreciated...
pwnified

Re: How do you enable a track to record stereo

Post by pwnified »

Yeah it should see the stereo input on the doc. Check to make sure the right and left enable buttons are selected (in the IN fader popup). If that's not it I have no idea, that part has been tested to work fine. I'll be getting one in a couple days though (cause it's awesome, and Andrew at studio six is da man). Sorry I can't be much help.
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

The behaviour of both the iAudioInterface and MultiTrack is slightly erratic in this regard. I have the same problem - there's lots of fiddling with plugging and unplugging the interface, and lots of launching and closing AudioTools and MultiTrack. Eventually it comes up right (stereo), but it's a bit of a killer if you're urgently trying to get something down. I can't work out what makes it work so I can't point the finger at the hardware or the software yet.
The other issue is that the iAudioInterface open ups and shuts down its output with a big bang every time it gets power or gets a signal from the audio app in question. This is pretty unpleasant through a decent sized monitoring system. Again, I can't work out whether this is a problem with hardware, software or the iPhone OS.
I'm waiting for an answer from Andrew at Studio Six Digital about my missing mic clip. When he's answered that, I'll get round to asking him about these other things. I suspect that there are some pretty difficult constraints with iOS and the iPhone hardware which won't be overcome - this is a device which was never intended to be a top-notch recording tool.

Dominic
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Thank you both for your respective response...

After trying every configuration, sequence, combination I could think of, I figured out why it wasn't "apparent" that the track was in stereo. In a word - Glitchy. It would be difficult to explain in writing; however, you will see what I mean when you get an iAudiointerface pwnified. Erratic is correct dominicperry! I am new to ipods. This is my first. I bought a 64gig 'touch a month ago, and recently upgraded to 4.0 OS. With that said these little things are amazing devices!... I got mine, not for games, but specifically for use with StudioSixDigital products, I also have it as a backup for my Dj rig. Andrew, at S6D, recently added the "Recorder" app to their suite of test/analysis tools and recommended "MultiTrack" for ...multi-track recording. I am foremost a musician and own Pro Tools 002 with some nice pre's and mics etc. However, I don't have a studio and setting up my rig is a pain if I just want to record ideas. So I figured I would give this recommended app a try. Other than some of the erratic/glitchy behavior already discussed, I think it is a great little app! As I mentioned I have several devices that output a very nice stereo signal: Roland TD20 (V-Drums); Yamaha's VL70-m wind controller module (WX5); Fishman stereo Pre on a Taylor guitar; Alesis OS88 keyboard etc. Since I got the stereo thing worked out, I've recorded each of these instruments on separate tracks and they sound amazing! The thing I like about this rig is the ease of setup. It is no more than plugging in the iAudiointerface; setting up input for stereo line or microphone; adjust gain to suit instrument; plug in instrument - adjust gain; arm track and record!... I can easily go from one instrument to another in a matter of a few minutes!...

...sorry I digress...

dominicperry, everything you stated in your first paragraph is why it is hard to explain the stereo enabling procedure - it is not consistent. For example: Sometimes an individual tracks stereo meters will remain visually on the track when you have left that track to record on another track and sometimes they will just disappear until you go back and start recording again. ...again, glitchy.

Power up/down pops: I noticed this when I first got the iAudiointerface. I'm pretty sure this can be fixed. I will inquire at S6D. I use headphones and am generally pretty careful when ever I am switching between apps in the S6D suite or other apps utilizing the iAudiointerface - i.e. MultiTrack. I just turn down the output volume control on the iAudiointerface unit.
What's this about a mic clip? I didn't get a clip with my unit.

Thanks again for your help!

Thomas
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

One of the pages on the Studio Six Digital website mentions an 'included mic clip'. But there's clearly nowhere in the moulded part of the box for one to be included, so I guess it's part of the website which is old, and that they changed their minds about including one. I just asked Anderew if he had a recommendation for one which would fit and be secure. I haven't heard back for a week so far. Maybe my mail got lost. I'll try again next week, and I'll ask about the output switching.

I'm finding it hard to cope with the latency of the iAudioInterface with Multitrack, even though I've tried the buffer on the iPhone 4 '128 sample' setting. I may have to find an external solution for this, but then the compactness of the whole arrangement is reduced. It's all just an experiment for me at this point, to see if I can get something smaller than my Eee and USBPre as a portable rig.

Dominic
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Ok, I suppose I should just sit back and count to 10 before I start posting help requests. Although, I was really frustrated with the stereo thing I posted above. I now think I've got a "procedure" to use with the iAudiointerface that will give you a consistent mic or stereo line track without any glitchy behavior.

:!: I believe the most important part is the connection and initialization of the iAudiointerface to the ipod/iphone. Please note I am using the latest hard ware and software release for all devices i.e. ipod touch 3rd gen/64gig; OS 4.0., iAudiointerface firmware 2.2. I have verified these steps by repeating the procedure 3 times before posting this:

:!: #1) Plug iAudiointerface into ipod.
:!: #2) Press ipod "Home" button. ...slide to open. (S6D suggests you wait 3 seconds before starting AudioTools suite so that OS sees interface - I waited 5).
#3) Open AudioTools ; go to "Setup" (wrench icon); open "Configuration" (iAudiointerface icon): My settings from top to bottom - "Enable Volume Control" "ON"; "Select Input Mode" you choose your source input... Mono/Mic or Stereo Unbalanced (choose stereo for "LINE level sources, and Mono if you will be using a mono mic) "Select Line Input Gain Range" (note: this setting only applies if you are using a LINE level device and chose "Stereo Unbalanced" setting previously) ...you choose... "Low '," Mid'," High Range". *Depending on your line input device/instrument, If set incorrectly you will get to much signal -distortion (Low Range) or weak/no signal (High Range). Next "Select Microphone Gain Range" again, this is only applicable if you are using a microphone and chose "Mono/Microphone" in the "Select Input Mode."
*again depending on the mic used (I have only tried this with the iAudiointerface mic) choose your gain - Low or High. (Low Range seems to work well with the S6D mic.). Last - "Select Output Mode" choose "Mono Balanced" or "Stereo Unbalanced" - I use "Stereo Unbalanced" to monitor with headphones.
#4) Exit AudioTools by touching "Done" in the top left hand corner. This will take you out of "Configuration" and drop you back into the Utilities sub-menu of AudioTools. Your settings will be saved. Tip: If you press the ipod "Home" button to exit from configuration menu it will take you completely out of AudioTools, while saving your settings, you are then ready to launch MultiTrack. Both AudioTools exit methods work.
#5) Launch MultiTrack. If you are using the stereo line inputs on the iAudiointerface and you choose "Stereo Unbalanced" in the "Configuration" page in AudioTools, at the bottom left hand corner of MultiTrack press the "IN" fader icon. When the pop-up window shows make sure you press both the "Left" and "Right" channel buttons. A two channel input meter should appear to replace the single in the "IN" fader icon.
#6) Choose a track and arm it.
#7) Arm the transport and press the play button to record. Press the play button again to stop recording. After you stop recording you should see a stereo level meter icon appear on that track. As long as there is a stereo region on that track the stereo level meters will remain. However, if you erase all regions from the track the stereo icon will be replaced by a blank.
#8) If you want to record through the Microphone on the iAudiointerface. Exit MultiTrack. Start AudioTools again and follow steps #3 and #4. Please note that the only changes that need to be made are "Selecting Input Mode" - choose "Mono/Microphone," and choosing the gain range you want in the "Select Microphone Gain Range" section (again, the low Range seems to be ok for recording voice as long as you don't get to close to the mic; however, if you choose the "High Range" setting and get close to the mic it exhibits a nice proximity effect). Exit AudioTools and start MultiTrack
#9) Go to the "IN" icon again and touch it... When pop-up appears choose the "Left" button ONLY. (The left input is assigned to the microphone by default on the iAudiointerface. If you choose the "Right" button you won't get any input. If you choose both "Left" and "Right" you will get a dialog box telling you "Can't record stereo on a mono track.")
:D Now the short version: Once you have "initialized" your hardware properly as described above and you want to switch between stereo line and mono microphone recording, just make your choice in the AudioTools "Configuration" page. Example: I want to record a stereo track. Make that choice in AudioTools; exit; open MultiTrack; Press the "IN" fader; Choose both the "left" and "Right" channel buttons. Arm and Record. Now I want a mono mic track. Exit MultiTrack; open AudioTools/configuration page; choose mono/mic; Exit; open MultiTrack; press the "IN" fader; choose only the "Left" side button. Arm and Record.

Well if this doesn't help anyone else it was kind of therapeutic for me

Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

One more addition... Of course the wonderful iAudiointerface from Andrew at S6D will allow you to use any professional quality mic utilizing their balanced line input. Of course you have supply the mic, preamp, phantom power etc. I am using a Mojave M200 tube condenser. This condenser uses a dedicated power supply. the power supply plugs into the preamp; preamp out into a F-XLR to M-TRS cable into the iAudiointerface. Configure the iAudiointerface to "Mono/Microphone and you now have a pair of stereo mics to record into MultiTrack. Of course you can utilize either or both mics. Just select the correct "Left" "Right" or both "Left and Right" from the input fader pop-up. Remember that "Left" is the iAudiointerface microphone, and choosing "Right" will give you the Mojave/other mic.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Thanks for the writeup. I actually can't wait to get mine. Some of the things you wrote seem to be bugs somewhere, we'll take a look once the unit arrives.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Thomas wrote::D Now the short version: Once you have "initialized" your hardware properly as described above and you want to switch between stereo line and mono microphone recording, just make your choice in the AudioTools "Configuration" page. Example: I want to record a stereo track. Make that choice in AudioTools; exit; open MultiTrack; Press the "IN" fader; Choose both the "left" and "Right" channel buttons. Arm and Record. Now I want a mono mic track. Exit MultiTrack; open AudioTools/configuration page; choose mono/mic; Exit; open MultiTrack; press the "IN" fader; choose only the "Left" side button. Arm and Record.
Thanks Thomas, what you posted here is exactly what needs to be done to switch between stereo line in and mono microphone in. I got the iAudioInterface and finally had a chance to try it. It's not as portable (external microphones still need a preamp, and headphones need a headphone amp), but it sounds great and the included mic is good.
Trombophonic

Post by Trombophonic »

This is a little bit of the opposite problem. I just got the mobilepre and a powered USB hub, and they seem to work well with multitrack on the iPad. However, I can't figure out how to make it either record in mono, or record to both channels when I have just one microphone plugged in. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

*edit*

And then I looked an inch up on my screen and saw that my question had already been answered. Sorry for the superfluous post.