focusrite scarlett 18i20

How to use MultiTrack DAW
jseib2293

focusrite scarlett 18i20

Post by jseib2293 »

just unboxed a focusrite 18i20; very cool

the ipad recognized the device right away and 8 channels are automatically ready to go. But one glitch, and it is probably user error: When recording live, everything cool. putting another track over the top sounds fine as i am doing it, and the files look like they are aligning properly, but then when I stop it shifts the most recent track slightly to the right, so the more recent is slightly delayed. (approx 1/2 second)

ANybody know maybe what I did wrong? Ipad three, nothing running in background.
jseib2293

Re: focusrite scarlett 18i20

Post by jseib2293 »

i did try turning the ipad off andf back on. no change. any thoughts would be great, i need to figure this out asap as i have people coming to record with me on wednesday and we wont be doing all tracks simultaneously....
jseib2293

Post by jseib2293 »

further testing: if i monitor through the headphone jack on the ipad, rather than through on of the headphone jack on the focusrite, i can record multiple tracks that way. so somehow the sound coming back through the focusrite headphone jack is delayed, making track two sound delayed?? Or is the answer with all of these interfaces that I have to monitor through the ipad? Or is this focusrite just not compatible yet? If it isnt I want to return it for something that truly gets 8 tracks live and has the ability to add more
martygras

Post by martygras »

1. What bitrate/samplrate are you recording at?
2. Does the Focusrite have a direct monitoring switch?

It sounds like a latency issue, but Multitrack has a feature after 8 tracks it performs an optimization procedure to the 1st 8 tracks. This may be a problem associated with the iPad3 though. Hopefully Pwnified has time to stop by here soon.

You could try to contact him through Twitter though.
@harmonicdog

If you've backed up all songs to iTunes you could delete the app and reinstall just as a last ditch attempt for a fix.

That Focusrite looks really nice. Would love to get it if I could afford one.
Good luck jseib2293
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
jseib2293

Post by jseib2293 »

well, reading the device manual probably should have been my first stop. It doesn't ship with one, you have to find it and download it...

turns out the two headphone jacks on the front of the interface are not for the musicians, those are for the engineer. there are line outs on the back, and the mix of each is customize-able through the software I downloaded from focusrite, and can be saved to the 18i20. So I can have four separate headphone mixes out of the back of the interface. And those line outs have no latency issue. So far, what an awesome interface along side the ipad multitrack. I don't have more than 8 things going into it...but the MTDAW "sees" all 18 inputs. I have only tried the 8 analogue ones at this point, they work flawlessly.