Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. How to be truly mobile.

How to use MultiTrack DAW
fgplayerx

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. How to be truly mobile.

Post by fgplayerx »

NOTE: This applies also to iTrack Solo. And possibly to other Scarlett or bus powered audio interfaces.

USB Powered? No powered USB Hub? No problem.

With these accessories, you will be able to remain completely mobile without the need of an electrical wall socket near by. I've tried this with an iPad Mini, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and a Focusrite iTrack Solo -via USB CCK-.

First image: a Y-Cable to B-Type USB. And a mobile phone 800mA external battery USB power supply. 800mA was enough to power two phantom powered microphones.
Cable and Power Supply
Cable and Power Supply
2i2-1-Cable-PowerSupply.jpg (76.81 KiB) Viewed 41924 times
Second image: a simple 2.0 USB Hub. With no power option available -unpowered-. And the Lightning to USB Camera Connection Kit adapter.
Hub and CCK
Hub and CCK
2i2-2-USB-Hub-CCK-USB.jpg (77.66 KiB) Viewed 41924 times
Third image: all together.
Truly mobile option.
Truly mobile option.
2i2-3-AllTogether.JPG (59.61 KiB) Viewed 41924 times
If you try to connect the already powered 2i2 with the Y-Cable directly to the CCK -without the Hub-, the iPad will tell you that it cant power the USB interface. But if you connect it through the Hub, it will work like a charm.

Try it out; and be free of wall sockets for a few hours.
martygras

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. How to be truly mobile.

Post by martygras »

Hell to the yes! I've already got everything except the Y-cable.
Off to search for one.

If this works, you will be everybody's hero. (...and I will owe you a beer.)

Thanks
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
fgplayerx

Post by fgplayerx »

Believe me, it works!

I've already tried it.

I bought my Y-cable from Amazon.de. And this is the company that handled it: www.goodconnections.de

And this is the cable I received:
http://www.goodconnections.de/index.php?artikel=17258

Remember that not every Y-Cable is the same. While I was waiting for mine, I experimented with other Y-Cables for external hard disks that I have lying around. And found out that two from the four I had, could not power an old power hungry external 2.5 hard disk.

So, if at first you don't succeed, try another cable from another company.

I also found out that if you connect ONLY the POWER -RED- line to a computer USB port, the +48v phantom power button on the interface must be able to turn on. If it does turn on like that, you're in luck :)
martygras

Post by martygras »

Very cool.
Here in the U.S. the "USB Y cable" is available from:
"Tiger Direct"
UPC code is 757120281085

Cost is about $8

They can also be ordered through BestBuy's online store only.
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.
martygras

Post by martygras »

CONFIRMED!!!
Got one from Amazondotcom yesterday. I tried it with 2 non powered USB hubs and even one powered hub.
All worked flawlessly with my Akai EWI USB (wind controller)!

The external USB battery pack was purchased at Big Lots here in the states for about $10.

Thanks fgplayerx for the heads-up. I will test more devices/interfaces and post updates.
fgplayerx

Post by fgplayerx »

:) Glad to be of help.
martygras

Post by martygras »

Thought I'd give this a bump for people who might benefit from this mobile solution.
martygras

Post by martygras »

Another bump for posterity sake.
djsilenttom

Post by djsilenttom »

YOOOO!!!! Such an awesome tip! Totally got me up and running without waiting for amazon to arrive.

Just want to add that this ALSO works with a usb phone charger! just use the cube that came with ur iphone instead of the battery. I tested a few chargers, and some don't work- u need at least 1Amp.

But SO HAPPY the OP put this up! I just had this crap lying around and it totally got out of a bind.

xtrabigthanksmang!!
kituram9

Post by kituram9 »

Not sure if this post is still being monitored. I feel dumb asking by this question. I am confused by how the set up works.

I am hoping to remove my dependence on a laptop to phantom power my AT2035 condenser microphone via my Focusrite 2i2 by using the setup suggested by fgplayerx.

I am using my Canon dSLR to record the video. The audio from a AT 20235 condenser microphone directly connected to the Mic jack of the camera via the headphone jack on 2i2. Everything works great if I used a laptop to power the 2i2.

So, the red USB-A end of the Y-cable end goes into a USB power bank.
The USB-B end goes into the back of my 2i2 to power it.
The other USB-A end goes into a USB hub? Then what happens?

It is not clear to me what the purpose of the CCK is. Does an iPad Mini play a role here somehow? What am I missing?

Any help will be very much appreciated.