Parallel Processing without phase cancellation

How to use MultiTrack DAW
wherewithal

Parallel Processing without phase cancellation

Post by wherewithal »

Hi All,

I'm looking for a little advice. I have a project that I'm working on where I'm losing some punchy-ness on some fills I'm doing on the Bass guitar. It occured to me that maybe the remedy for this is to cut out the fills and process them in parallel on a different track. In my experience that has lead to phase cancellation in the past.

Without a polarity switch (not a gripe) what's the best way to aviod this? set the wave images slightly askew?

Thanks.
wherewithal

Re: Parallel Processing without phase cancellation

Post by wherewithal »

Tech 21 DI Box into Focusrite Itrack Solo into MTD.

Thinking about adding a compressor to the signal chain before the Focusrite
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

I find using a pick for bass fills to be helpful sometimes. A pick can add a lot of clarity and definition. I'm not a very good bass player, though. I mostly use my thumb. I've been tempted to try a stomp box compressor, but haven't yet. Good luck.
martygras

Post by martygras »

Barber makes a pedal called the Tonepress, which s a well designed compressor that has a parallel compression "mix" knob. That should work great before going into the DI. I've heard it used on an acoustic guitar with great success.

It's a little spendy for my taste, but could be a very important addition to a recording chain.
iPad Air, Akai EIE (the red one), Griffin Studioconnect, Alesis IO Dock, Blue Yeti mic.