Help With Audio Set Up

How to use MultiTrack DAW
cre8

Help With Audio Set Up

Post by cre8 »

I would be really grateful for some advice from anyone out there in the know..
I am loving MultiTrack DAW but have so many technical issues, I'm considering giving up!
Here are my issues:
I have an iPad 3 and a Yamaha Clavinova CLP 220. What do I need to purchase to enable connectivity with MultiTrack DAW and record succesfully?
I can only get the iPad to record using it's external mic so I get all sorts of background noise.
I'm not too disappointed with the vocal results, but a mic is on my wishlist and I have no idea what I'm looking for.
It seems that for every forum I find recommending compatible products, there's someone saying they don't work! I've spent the last 2 months purchasing various Midi to USB adaptors (used in conjuction with Apple's camera Connection Kit) and have so far had to send them all back.
I'm currently looking at the Alesis IO Dock2 with adaptor and wondering if this is the answer? There seem to be so many variables, that I'm uncertain as to whether my keyboard is the problem, or whether the iPad 3 is the culprit. I am potentially in the market for a new keyboard if this will solve the problem, but I want a full size keyboard that can be played live and not a midi keyboard controller.
My project has ground to a halt because I'm afraid I'm in a technically limited cul-de-sac! Frustrations currently outweighing the reward. Any suggestions?
wherewithal

Re: Help With Audio Set Up

Post by wherewithal »

What output are you using from the Clavinova to the iPad? MIDI? Headphone jack?
cre8

Post by cre8 »

Midi.
Here's a picture of the bottom of the keyboard.
Thanks for looking - appreciate the help..
Attachments
Looks like this
Looks like this
photo 2.jpg (57.33 KiB) Viewed 5137 times
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

MultiTrack doesn't record midi. However, you can use an audio interface and record the audio outputs. Please take a look at some of the interfaces here: http://www.harmonicdog.com/inputoptions/
These interfaces will record the actual sound of an instrument to an audio track. You can then overdub the vocal tracks by plugging in a mic to one of these interfaces as well. In the case of the Clavinova, you may have to use the headphone output.
cre8

Post by cre8 »

Ok that's much clearer. Really grateful for the advice.
So, I'm currently looking at the Alesis IO Dock II which lists compatibility with the iPad 3 using the tray insert, and a Blue Yeti Mic with the Camera Connection Kit. Do you reckon I'll be good to go with these options?
I'm also looking at purchasing a Yamaha NP-V80 to give me relatively cheap access to more sounds. Under it's specifications, it says that connectivity is via DC IN, headphones, Midi & USB to Device.

Question: What cables would I need to connect each of these keyboards to the IO Dock?
Assuming the Clavinova would need JACK TO something, if it's using the headphone socket?
What about the NP-V80? it appears to have a USB TO HOST socket and a Phones / Output jack lead connection. The cables will be the final piece of the puzzle for me, if you think the devices I've listed will work.

I've included images of the IO Dock connection options below:
Attachments
iodockii_right_web_med.jpg
iodockii_right_web_med.jpg (22.11 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
iodockii_left_web_med.jpg
iodockii_left_web_med.jpg (19.66 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
iodockii_back_web_med.jpg
iodockii_back_web_med.jpg (13.87 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
wherewithal

Post by wherewithal »

for the Clavinova you'll probably need a 1/8th stereo end to 1/4th end standard cable.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

The Yeti is a fine mic, but if you go with the ioDock it has xlr inputs with phantom power, so you can skip the yeti mic and the CCK, and just get a regular mic or two.
cre8

Post by cre8 »

That's great - thanks for your help.
I'll let you know how things progress. :)