Is there any way to import from email?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
dominicperry

Is there any way to import from email?

Post by dominicperry »

I've been trying to import plain wav files from email, having failed to find any way of doing this with ogg. I can't find any way of doing so. Does this mean that there isn't one? If so, that makes a computer a compulsory part of using MultiTrack, which is a shame. Any clues please? I don't mind buying an app which allows me to copy and paste into MultiTrack, but I need to get files from email or somewhere like soundcloud, not from iTunes or any other computer-derived sync.
Thanks

Dominic
pwnified

Re: Is there any way to import from email?

Post by pwnified »

Not at the moment, but I think there are apps that can import from email (or maybe open when tapping the email attachment?) and then copy the wav data to the pasteboard.
olivegoose

Post by olivegoose »

hi what apps do that? : )
i need to download from email as well.
thanks
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

I've no idea how to do this legitimately, and no-one seems to have any apps which will do it - I've spent a long time looking.
I have found one way of doing it which works with wav files (but not with ogg, which MultiTrack doesn't seem to recognise as 'importable') but it requires Readdle Docs, jailbreaking and a lot of fiddling around. I can't recommend it, especially as I saw in another post a user having trouble with MultiTrack, and pwnified saying that the problem was caused by Jailbreaking, and MultiTrack isn't really supported on that configuration. Ironic for someone called pwnified, but there you go ;) .
Really, there needs to be a way to import ogg files from email into MultiTrack, pretty much directly, otherwise it's a major PITA, but I have no idea hpow much work this would be to achieve or even if it's possible. I can see it being low priority for the developer at the moment.

Dominic
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I think it was this forum where I heard that audioforge or audioview could import wavs from email and then copy to the pasteboard. It looks to be shaping up to be a good destructive editor.

RE: jailbreaks. It's not that I dont support jailbreaks, it's just that there are so many bad ones out there that I can't support all the configurations that people run, plus a lot of people load up their devices with resource heavy background stuff. To be honest though, I originally liked the iphone platform because it was a (somewhat) stable system (like a game console) which didn't change. Unfortunately jailbreaks are changing that.
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

Thanks for your explanation. I understand why jailbreaks are hard to support, I was just having a little fun. :lol:
I've looked at AudioForge and AudioView (without paying for them I can't tell for sure), but they don't seem to have email support mentioned on their websites.
Are you planning on supporting ogg import at some stage please? I can get my ogg files to the import directory, but then MultiTrack doesn't see them.

Thanks for your ongoing attention.

Dominic
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

Bought AudioForge and AudioView and can't see a way to do eMail import, but I can now do an mp3 to wav conversion inside MultiTrack's sharing bin (still have to be moved with Readdle Docs and Cydia iFile). Maybe MultiTrack would have done this anyway. Handy though. Makes receiving files from other people much more usable. Ogg import would still be better :D

Dominic
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I guess it was reforge? Looking at the page http://www.reforge.info/Site/Reforge.html it looks like it is supported, but its iPad only I think. I've ask on his forum about audioforge getting that functionality.
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

Thanks for asking about adding that functionality. As a previous poster pointed out, AudioForge and AudioView are so flaky as to be unusable at the moment, they are definitely the most unreliable iPhone apps I've used so far.
Which reminds me, I managed to get MultiTrack to crash yesterday (for the first time ever, and I use it a lot) by attempting to do an export to wav when there were no regions. I can't replicate it however, but the Soundcloud servers are down, and I can't remember if it was email, soundcloud or mixdown. Do you get crash reports from Apple which devices send in on sync?
If it happens again, I'll start a different thread.

Thanks again for all your help and work.

Dominic
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Tibor has updated AudioView already, so there should be an update in the next 7 days with the email import. This should be a good interim solution for email because it can also copy the audio onto the pasteboard.

About crashes, there are no crash reports in the iTunes portal for MultiTrack Version 2.0.8. I think this is because apple filters out crashes from devices that are also running jailbreaks. Also crash reports from a jailbroken device wont symbolicate so it's hard to tell what's going on with them. The good news is that multitrack is extremely stable on stock devices or devices that only upgrade iOS through iTunes.

Now if only apple would filter itunes reviews from people with jailbreaks, it's pretty frustrating when people rate down the app for something out of my control.