still missing old punch-in/out

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Telefunky

still missing old punch-in/out

Post by Telefunky »

probably this feature isn't used too intensly by most folks...
imho punch never worked 'correctly', but then on the other hand the bug was a nice feature

that's how it used to be:
mark a region including some pre- an postroll time and place punch-marks inside
place cursor before marked region, arm track and start recording
when punch-in is crossed actual tracking begins (fine)
crossing punch-out disarms the track, recording stops
after post-roll playback starts with the preroll part of the loop

as no buttons have been touched, I'd expect it will auto-arm and record during the next loops
(until stopped)
but it's no big deal to manually re-arm during preroll - in fact it's quite nice to have an optional decision point here to either keep or overwrite the take

what it does now:
after the first punch-out tracking stops, arm-indicator is lit, but doesn't record during the following loops
recording can't be reactivated until the 'tape' ist stopped manually, positioned before the loop etc...

it would be very, very nice to have the old 'modus operandi' back...
I'm tracking all stuff with this app - for my humble use it's a core feature

I'd even sacrifice all the bells 'n whistles in trade for this and switch back a couple of versions... if I could
(as long as audiobus is supported I'm fine - no need for IAA, not even FX)

cheers, Tom
pwnified

Re: still missing old punch-in/out

Post by pwnified »

Well, at the time it seemed that re-arming the track as opposed to moving the playhead and hitting play/record wasn't such a big deal, I wanted to avoid the case of when a loop is very short and has punch points inside. I experimented with having it always record a new region every time it passed the punchin, but with very short punch regions it would just flood the system with 100's of tiny regions and immediately overwrite them.

I guess the ideal behaviour would be to always record if the region is over a certain length, and not disarm. I understand you liked the ability to choose, all while the loop keeps playing. Would the suggested behaviour conflict with that? Then you could choose to keep the take by disarming the track, or if it started recording again you could undo.
Telefunky

Re: still missing old punch-in/out

Post by Telefunky »

it seemed that re-arming the track as opposed to moving the playhead and hitting play/record wasn't such a big deal...
yes, as mentioned it's a cool feature: after disarming and return to start it plays back the result
if the take was not so great, just re-arm at pre-roll time of the next loop
all actions are properly reflected in display controls - perfect

the current state is at least irritating: the track is effectively disarmed, but the indicator is still on
if you switch it off manually and then on again this won't have any effect
the track must be stopped - then it can be rearmed
may read like counting peas, but in fact it's a real pita - in case you're used to such functions

version 1 is totally smooth, very quick and effective - I'd even sack the current version and return to an iPad one :mrgreen:
to me it always seemed like an accidental '...oops, just overlooked this' which can be easily fixed

cheers, Tom