Pan, FX, etc on clip/track copy paste?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
kokomodo

Pan, FX, etc on clip/track copy paste?

Post by kokomodo »

I've seen references to splitting a stereo track into two mono tracks by panning left or right, copying, and then pasting into a mono track. My assumption was that if I copied and pasted a track (or, a region) that only the underlying audio file copied. Do track settings also copy? Perhaps I'm not understanding the difference between copy/paste for a track vs. copy/paste for a clip (region?) in a track.

Are IAA FX copied with a track? I would guess "no" since - to my knowledge - you cannot have two instances of an IAA effect running on the device.

Is there a way to automatically split a stereo track into two mono tracks?

-Kokomodo
pwnified

Re: Pan, FX, etc on clip/track copy paste?

Post by pwnified »

It's possible, but not straight forward. You can pan a stereo track fully left, then copy, and the copy will be a stereo signal with the right side completely at zero. Then, paste onto a mono track and the copy will be converted to mono, thereby containing only the left side. Repeat the process for the right side.

The tricky part is that you must paste onto a mono track. You can do this by arming an empty track with a mono source, or if the track is already mono.

To answer you question whether IAA fx are copied, or if just the regions are copied, the answer is both. The tracks will be 'baked' with effects and placed in a temporary region (aka a 'Bounce'), and also the region data (pointing to the old audio) will be placed on the pasteboard. So you can paste into another app and it will have all the effects, volume, pan, etc. This is because other apps can't read the region data and need raw audio.

But if you paste onto another track within multitrack, depending on the source, 3 different things could happen.
1) if they're copied from 2 or more tracks, the bounce will be pasted. This is the way to bounce tracks.
2) if they're copied from 1 track, the editable regions will be pasted.
3) if the number of channels in the destination doesn't match the source channels, the bounce will be used, and converted to the destination channel configuration. This is what happens when pasting a stereo region onto a mono track and vice versa.

So, if you copy from more than 1 track, it will always bounce, with effects, pan, etc. And if you copy from just one track and paste onto an empty track or a track with matching channels, it will always just paste the regions.