What's wrong with the compressor?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Donnyten

What's wrong with the compressor?

Post by Donnyten »

What's wrong with the compressor? It's operation makes absolutely no sense in this program. If I lower the threshold the audio gets louder and is not compressing anything relative to the ratio and attack
pwnified

Re: What's wrong with the compressor?

Post by pwnified »

Hmm, whether you can hear a compressor or not might depend greatly on the type of audio. But in general, if it's getting louder, it's doing its job. The attack is simply the speed at which it starts working, release is how long it takes to stop working. The defaults for attack and release should be ok for most material. Try turning down the ratio and threshold and the result should sound much louder.
Donnyten

Post by Donnyten »

When decreasing the threshold relative to ratio and attack, the sound is supposed to "squash" while allowing for a separate gain control to increase volume if needed. No matter what I set the controls the threshold is doing the exact opposite of what it supposed to do. I am using the compressor or at least trying to, to compress vocals. The audio is getting louder, but the dynamics remain unchanged. I'd really love to use this compressor so I won't be forced to export and import the project into a computer
Donnyten

Post by Donnyten »

I just tried it again and magically I'm getting reduction. No idea what happened there.