Best affordable Studio Headphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
anamarias

Best affordable Studio Headphones

Post by anamarias »

1. What is the cheapest Studio Minotiring Headphones that is good for iphone and IRIG HD or for other mics?
The cheapest but great... Avoid picking up bleeds. But if cheap will compensate ofr quality, than what is the next step to cheap that is affordable, given I will only record suing a phone.

4. How Can I belt with the mic without causing ditortion ----- adjust the gain on the mic itself or the IN?

Thank you
pwnified

Re: Best affordable Studio Headphones

Post by pwnified »

You might try looking for headphones that cover the ear, if you want to reduce bleed. Please remember you get what you pay for. "only record using a phone", well, the phone is actually not the cheap part. The quality you get from just a phone, is just as good as any laptop or professional recording device, better in many cases. This is because the phone can record and playback in perfect digital quality, with no losses. The quality is then only limited to what you plug into it.

As far a singing loudly into a mic, it really depends on the mic and what the internal gain control is doing, but a USB mic should have software control over its internal hardware gain setting. The IN fader in multitrack will automatically hook up to the hardware on the mic and adjust it. However not all mics have that feature, and if this is the case, the IN fader will only act as a software fader. If you're getting distortion, try reducing the IN fader first, if that doesn't help, put the IN fader back to 0dB and try the gain control on the mic.
anamarias

Post by anamarias »

Should not be the first thing to adjust is the gain on the irigpre interface that hook the xlr mic to keep the IN always on the 0db... Since i will mix it on audcatiy and will need to increase the volume or something and wouldnt want quality loss.

DO i also adjust the IN higher than 0db and lower the gain to get more quality? or leave the IN best at 0db and adjust the mic gain?

Sorry for my questions. I am not a pro abut am learning =)

pwnified wrote:You might try looking for headphones that cover the ear, if you want to reduce bleed. Please remember you get what you pay for. "only record using a phone", well, the phone is actually not the cheap part. The quality you get from just a phone, is just as good as any laptop or professional recording device, better in many cases. This is because the phone can record and playback in perfect digital quality, with no losses. The quality is then only limited to what you plug into it.

As far a singing loudly into a mic, it really depends on the mic and what the internal gain control is doing, but a USB mic should have software control over its internal hardware gain setting. The IN fader in multitrack will automatically hook up to the hardware on the mic and adjust it. However not all mics have that feature, and if this is the case, the IN fader will only act as a software fader. If you're getting distortion, try reducing the IN fader first, if that doesn't help, put the IN fader back to 0dB and try the gain control on the mic.
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

anamarias wrote:1. What is the cheapest Studio Minotiring Headphones that is good for iphone and IRIG HD or for other mics?
The cheapest but great... Avoid picking up bleeds. But if cheap will compensate ofr quality, than what is the next step to cheap that is affordable, given I will only record suing a phone.

4. How Can I belt with the mic without causing ditortion ----- adjust the gain on the mic itself or the IN?

Thank you
What is the model number of your Sennheiser mic?
anamarias

Post by anamarias »

e865s

Anorton wrote:
anamarias wrote:1. What is the cheapest Studio Minotiring Headphones that is good for iphone and IRIG HD or for other mics?

Thank you
What is the model number of your Sennheiser mic?
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

There doesn't appear to be a gain control on the mic, so you have to check the interface. Is there a gain meter on the irig interface? If there is, check the level on the interface while your singing/belting it out. You may need to adjust the gain on the interface.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Yes, I've found that a good way to get maximum headroom out of a signal chain is to start by turning all the controls down a bit, until nothing is clipping. Then start raising the first control, until you can hear it just start to clip at loudest peaks, then back down by a smidge. In this case, that would be the gain on the irig hd. Then repeat the process for each gain control up the chain. Next would be the IN fader on multitrack. If you 'pack up' the gain controls up the chain this way, you will find the maximum signal level that it can handle, and thus increase the signal to noise by a small amount.
anamarias

Post by anamarias »

What do you mean "up the chain".. sorry to ask. So basically the irig interface gain is what matters and keep the IN in the multitrack at 0db always to maintain the highest quality?.... ?

pwnified wrote:Yes, I've found that a good way to get maximum headroom out of a signal chain is to start by turning all the controls down a bit, until nothing is clipping. Then start raising the first control, until you can hear it just start to clip at loudest peaks, then back down by a smidge. In this case, that would be the gain on the irig hd. Then repeat the process for each gain control up the chain. Next would be the IN fader on multitrack. If you 'pack up' the gain controls up the chain this way, you will find the maximum signal level that it can handle, and thus increase the signal to noise by a small amount.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

The chain, is just the series of gain controls, starting from the mic and ending at the file writer inside multitrack. There are 2 gain controls (in parentheses):

Mic -> (iRig HD) -> (IN Fader) -> File Writer

The faders on the tracks only adjust the playback volume, not the record volume.

And what you say is correct, it's usually better to keep the multitrack IN fader at zero. I only mentioned it previously to try to troubleshoot where you're clipping. Anorton is right, use the gain control on the iRig and leave the IN fader at 0 dB. Are you still getting clipping?