Effects EQ while recording

How to use MultiTrack DAW
anamarias

Effects EQ while recording

Post by anamarias »

Need some help...

I plan on using an IRig pre (interface) with a Sennhesier condenser wired mic for the Multitrac kdaw.

is this a good choice? I do not want to spend on a mic if I have a good one and just need an interface.

Is there a feature to also mix it while recording ? Like HI MID LO of mic?

I do not know what a COMPRESSOR is which i see in the FX area. Ithink this is an imporant feature I should learn but I have no clue what it is for? Can someone teach me..

I just record karaoke with my vocals and want the best souding crisp vocals possible.

Hope you can help me.

Thank you!
pwnified

Re: Effects EQ while recording

Post by pwnified »

Hi anamarias,

A compressor will reduce the dynamics, making more even sound in terms of volume. Depending on what style of music you're going for, it's use is either not needed, or required.

For 'crisp' vocals, this implies you want more high end, use the EQ for that, and boost some high end and maybe reduce some mids. And maybe try the compressor with Threshold around -20 to -30, and ratio 2:1 to 4:1, just as a starting point.
anamarias

Post by anamarias »

the EQ in the fx has blue and red knobs. I dont know which is the HI and mids.. and the other side has the 3 blues and red. which is which? :?

Thanks

pwnified wrote:Hi anamarias,

A compressor will reduce the dynamics, making more even sound in terms of volume. Depending on what style of music you're going for, it's use is either not needed, or required.

For 'crisp' vocals, this implies you want more high end, use the EQ for that, and boost some high end and maybe reduce some mids. And maybe try the compressor with Threshold around -20 to -30, and ratio 2:1 to 4:1, just as a starting point.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Blue is high and red is low.

The controls on the left are shelving controls, basically they reduce or boost all frequencies beyond a cutoff point. Think of them as treble and bass. The cutoff point can be adjusted (10, 14, or 18 kHz) for the treble, and 50 or 100 Hz for the bass.

The other controls are 2 bands of parametric eq. Basically they are adjustable frequency (kHz for the high band, Hz for the low band). If you boost up the dB, say, on the high band (blue), and then 'sweep' the kHz control back and forth, while music is playing, you will hear instantly how these eq's work. It will sound a bit like a wahwah pedal while the frequency control is changing. The Q controls how wide the band is.

These controls were modeled after the Audient ASP8024 Mixing console:
Equalizer-section.jpg
Equalizer-section.jpg (157.56 KiB) Viewed 2642 times