Can I rec @96khz internally, iPadMini no ext. interface?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Hakan Olsson

Can I rec @96khz internally, iPadMini no ext. interface?

Post by Hakan Olsson »

Hi,

I need to record internally only, from audiobus compatible synths, in 96 khz and preferably 24bit. Is this possible with an iPad Mini only, i.e., without a external audio interface?

Thanks
/Håkan Olsson
pwnified

Re: Can I rec @96khz internally, iPadMini no ext. interface?

Post by pwnified »

You can create and open a 96kHz project, and even if the hardware is a different samplerate, all audio in and out will be converted to/from the project's samplerate. Audiobus only supports 16/44, so the same applies here, audio will be converted, so you won't gain anything by using the higher samplerates.

If you really need to record the output of apps that produce frequencies that high (above 20kHz), I think it's possible using IAA. i.e. there is no 16/44 limitation on the samplerate of IAA plugs. Also, IAA uses float format, which converts to and from 24 bit losslessly. However I'm not aware of any IAA generator apps that natively support those high samplerates, and if they do work, are probably just being upsampled at the IAA wrapper stage.

We have to remember that IAA is a hack, it acts as a wrapper around an entire app. So judging by the lack of support for higher samplerates of other apps', it might be difficult to find such a one. But let us know if you do.
Telefunky

Re: Can I rec @96khz internally, iPadMini no ext. interface?

Post by Telefunky »

if you record synthesized sound, 16bit won't sacrifice quality at all
keep in mind that there's no analog noise involved as with a microphone recording
(the latter indeed makes a significant difference with low signal levels)
16 bits provide a dynamic range of 90 dB, which isn't even remotely used in current tracks

no need for 96khz either as the better synths in IOS will process internally at that rate and prevent aliasing, for example TF7 or the PPG devices WaveMapper and WaveGenerator (set filter resonance to 100% and turn the frequency dial, perfectly clean sound - like analog)
I suspect the Holderness effects and stuff from Apesoft and Positive Grid does this too, at least that's my impression...
don't judge by numbers, but by ear ;)
... and if you're really concerned about such stuff: stay away from what (today) is called 'mastering' with all it's loundness maximizing - it will result in distortion rates that nullify any potential benefits an increased samplerate might offer

cheers, Tom