How to use MultiTrack DAW
muzicman

Post by muzicman »

Hello, I've been playing guitar for 30 years now. New to recording on any computer let alone my iPod. Wow! The results so far are really nice and I feel I've just scratched the surface. Anyway, a question, I haven't found the answer to yet. I'm not finding my mixes on my iPod in iTunes. I that was possible? Is soundcloud the only place I can put my mixes from just my iPod?
pwnified

Re: Newbie

Post by pwnified »

Welcome muzicman. So, the mixdowns won't be available in the Music Library itself, but in iTunes File Sharing. So it iOS it is impossible to modify the music library on the device by any app other than iTunes. So we have to dig around in the file sharing section of iTunes, you'll find it in here: http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=195

If you need to stay completely on the device or don't have a computer, you can tap the 'Shared' tab (next to the export tab), and then tap the mixdown itself and some options will open below it, tap the 'Open In' button to send it to the Dropbox app, Google Drive, etc.
muzicman

Post by muzicman »

I see. I'm pretty new to not just recording digitally, but everything computer. My wife has a laptop, and I've managed to pull a couple of backing tracks off of YouTube to Jamm to, and I mixed them down to soundcloud. They sound real nice. Great app! What an understatement! How can I get them onto YouTube? I just bought a nice HD video camera and would like to post video with my own music. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction, so I can avoid the usual hassles. Like I said, I've played guitar for decades, so that's the easy part. With this app, recording excellent songs is easy. It seems everything else is not so easy.

Anyway, l recorded direct into my iPod running my guitar into a boost > overdrive > wah > comp > amp sim > delay > iRig2. That's it. All analog and it sounds great, if a bit noisy when you turn up the overdrive. Think I'll get a noise suppressor pedal next. The amplitude stuff sounds a little thin to my ears.

So far, the only thing I would like to see different would be a second bus for the delay. I'm recording again like crazy and enjoying it all over again like when I got my first 4 track years ago. Thanks for the help.
Telefunky

Post by Telefunky »

you may consider BIAS FX by Positive Grid for the guitar stuff...
it allows parallel FX chains and even 'insert' external apps via IAA
a great app for delay is Holderness EchoPad, but their bundle is more attractive
(both apps are absolute top notch and play in the league of Kemper or Axe-FX)
seriously... since I have the Positive Grid stuff I've stopped looking further...
dunno current prices, but those 50 bucks or so are bargain

regarding video the usual way is to track the cam's audio as a guide
in your video editor you replace this guide by the audio mixdown of Multitrack or any other DAW
point is you (most likely) will have to shift audio snippets to proper positions, which is easy if the software supports additional audio tracks
(but not all do and not all are convenient to handle... it depends...) ;)
if everything is aligned neatly, the guide track is muted and the final video is rendered to a file
(don't trash the guide as it may be used again for further/later editing)

cheers, Tom
muzicman

Post by muzicman »

Telefunky wrote:you may consider BIAS FX by Positive Grid for the guitar stuff...
it allows parallel FX chains and even 'insert' external apps via IAA
a great app for delay is Holderness EchoPad, but their bundle is more attractive
(both apps are absolute top notch and play in the league of Kemper or Axe-FX)
seriously... since I have the Positive Grid stuff I've stopped looking further...
dunno current prices, but those 50 bucks or so are bargain

regarding video the usual way is to track the cam's audio as a guide
in your video editor you replace this guide by the audio mixdown of Multitrack or any other DAW
point is you (most likely) will have to shift audio snippets to proper positions, which is easy if the software supports additional audio tracks
(but not all do and not all are convenient to handle... it depends...) ;)
if everything is aligned neatly, the guide track is muted and the final video is rendered to a file
(don't trash the guide as it may be used again for further/later editing)

cheers, Tom
Hmmm, interesting. Can you direct me to some sound samples? I'm actually pretty happy with the tone I'm getting. Very full, if a bit noisy when I want raging overdrive. Plus I really prefer to have a comp after drives and wah. Can you do that with the apps you mentioned? And now that I'm thinking about it, I need a real wah, but I would still be interested. Maybe I could use those apps and my own wah. Auto wah is no good for me. One more thing. Have you or can you get the delay on those apps to self oscillate? Ha! I guess I'm pretty old school, just learning some new tricks!
muzicman

Post by muzicman »

I just checked out some of those apps. Very affordable. Worth a try. Thanks.
harisonzamperla

Post by harisonzamperla »

You mentioned video editing. If you want to do it from your iPod I recommend pinnacle studio for iPhone. You can import audio tracks by mixdown in multitrack and go to shared tab find the file and select "open in" and then pinnacle. I filmed several music videos on my iPhone and cut and mixed them using MultiTrack and pinnacle on my iPhone no computer necessary.
harisonzamperla

Post by harisonzamperla »

As far as noise make sure you have the input slider in multitrack DAW turned low enough that it doesn't clip (go all the way to the top of the meter when you plying the loud stuff). Also bias doesn't have effects pedals but it models the sound of different amps in a really warm and realistic sounding way. JamUp is a good option for amps and also includes pedals as well. You can create amps in BIAS and import them into JamUp. Also there's a little plugin called mukracker that's free that you can use to get some unusual distortion effects you might wanna check out.
Telefunky

Post by Telefunky »

harisonzamperla wrote:... Also bias doesn't have effects pedals ...
that's why I mentioned BIAS FX, in particular for the requested parallel chain
most effects in JamUp are fairly crappy - but the Reverb63 is really nice as is some of the distortion stuff
modulation and reverb/delay rather s*cks imho
(I'm afraid this applies to BIAS versions, too - but I don't have FX myself, just plain BIAS and JamUp)

cheers, Tom
muzicman

Post by muzicman »

Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it. I bought the precision grid bias amp app and I had already bought and tried the Hendrix Amplitube. They're okay maybe for some things, but I'm getting better results with my Sansamp clone. I swear that pedal is just awesome. And digital compression leaves me wanting as well. Digital distortion.....well, you get the idea.

Right now, I'm working on getting some drum tracks together for some of my own tunes. I'll start simple and work my way up to more complicated arrangements. All this helping to get my chops back up to a high level. I got down to playing ocassionally, now I'm playing everyday again. I'm a classic rock player with psychadelic tendencies. Can't wait to get my own stuff together. I'm using HD drums, so any tips there would be great too. And one more thing, how can I get louder mastered recordings? And a tip of my own...I managed to minimize cross talk by panning drums to one side while recording guitar on the other. At playback, put them back where you want. Which device do I need to get rid of the cross talk? It seems to really reek havoc with the cymbals. Anyway, thanks everybody.