Audiobus strangeness

How to use MultiTrack DAW
gosmo_kefree

Audiobus strangeness

Post by gosmo_kefree »

Hey there,

First of all, thank you for your continued efforts on this quite remarkable app!

I've encountered an issue lately that's a bit fiddly to explain but I'll try to be succinct. I'm using the latest version of all the app's mentioned here on an iPhone6 running iOS 9.0.2.

First of all I'd noticed that the mic input was crackling. A kind of a fizzy crackle. I'd seen similar posts on here to which the response was that it's probably an issue with the mic on the phone itself. However, I decided to give it another go through Audiobus and found that once it was hooked up, the crackling disappeared.

The problem however, is that once it's hooked up - MultiTrack freezes up. I can't access it at all and have to quit.

Another strange thing to note: Once it's hooked up, and I am looking at the interface for the 'fx' app (in this case 'jamUp'), I am able to access the MultiTrack record function via the buttons along the right hand side. Before touching any of those buttons, I can hear the mic input and all sounds fine. As soon as I hit record, the crackling comes back. And, as stated before, if I then go to MultiTrack, it's frozen - although I can still hear the input.

Any ideas what's going on?
pwnified

Re: Audiobus strangeness

Post by pwnified »

Hmm, that does sound strange. Definitely try a reboot of your phone. You should never get any crackling, at any buffer size, any bitrate or samplerate, with just multitrack by itself. The fact that it worked through audiobus and not directly, points to something very wrong indeed. Please try turning off Measurement Mode in the Settings app (Settings -> MultiTrack -> Measurement Mode -> OFF), if the reboot didn't help.

IAA is used by Audiobus, and IAA sometimes has issues with other apps that were programmed with bad IAA support. Apps can take over 20 seconds to 'timeout', so what seems like a freezeup could just be the app trying to launch and then the IAA subsystem doing something wrong with the zombie app. (technical term). If you get these freezeups, it could be that Jamup is being used somewhere else as an IAA plug (only one instance is allowed, system wide). When using JamUp with Audiobus, make sure all other IAA instances of JamUp are removed from any track insert or bus/master in multitrack. And definitely try the reboot.