IAA and ToneStack

How to use MultiTrack DAW
toman

IAA and ToneStack

Post by toman »

Hi. I've just started with MTD. I was attracted to it from descriptions of it as a lightweight app with good workflow. But I have run into a problem recording ToneStack using IAA (I know it works with AudioBus but I don't want to use it because I have experienced tracking issues using AB.) I start ToneStack from fx as it isn't available as an Inter-App audio generator - this is the case when using other recording apps as well. When recording I can hear ToneStack but on playback all I hear is the dry signal. Where am I going wrong? Help will be much appreciated.
pwnified

Re: IAA and ToneStack

Post by pwnified »

It might be that you need to unarm the track? Currently the effect is applied to the input monitor and the track playback, but not both at the same time. Unarming the track should do it. Also you might freeze the track once you have the sound you like.
toman

Post by toman »

Tried that but it didn't work for me. MTD transport can be engaged from IAA in ToneStack but nothing is recorded because the track isn't armed. AudioShare is able to record ToneStack and it can be recorded in Auria as well by selecting 'Record Effects' from the 'Rec' sub-menu. If it doesn't work in MTD that's all I need to know. Thanks for your reply.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

It's possible the effect might have glitched or stopped processing, sometimes IAA plugs do this. When it happens we usually launch the effect app manually from the springboard and then kill it, then tap it in multitrack to load it up again. Doing this will make sure the plug is cleanly reloaded.

I tried the ToneStack Go app, and it seems to be working. When recording is Armed for the track, and Input Monitor is on, you should hear the effects in realtime. However it won't be printed to the track, this way you can change settings after the recording. So if you keep the track armed and rewind and playback, you will only hear the dry signal that was recorded. But after disarming the track, the effects are then applied to the track playback instead of the input monitor, and it should sound exactly how it sounded while recording.
toman

Post by toman »

Maybe slowly but I think I am beginning to grok this. So after freezing the track I can remove ToneStack as an IAA effect as the sound associated with the effect is now contained in the track, somewhat analagous to the fixing proccess when developing in photography. Neat. Thank you.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Yes. And if you want a track permanently baked with the effect, ie. safe from accidental unfreeze, one way is to copy the freeze track, and then paste onto another empty track, and mute the original.

BTW you can leave the effects on a frozen track, you don't need to remove them. If the track stays frozen, they won't get loaded. However, if the track is unfreezed and the effect is being used on another track as well, you'll get the 'too many' error because only 1 global instance is allowed by iOS.