IAA Generator Record Latency

How to use MultiTrack DAW
wyc

IAA Generator Record Latency

Post by wyc »

If set up a channel with the input as an IAA generator app and then record, the resulting audio appears to be latency compensated, resulting in the recording being placed a little bit ahead of where it should be in the timeline. I first noticed this when trying to record a 4 bar loop from the Patterning app. When looping the result the first beat sounded chopped. I inserted a bar of silence in Patterning and then re-recorded. Looking at the result at high zoom, I could see that the audio started a few miliseconds before it should have.

I had to nudge the audio out carefully, split and remove the silent part, and finally reposition the audio to where it should have started in the first place.

It seems to me that maybe latency compensation should not be applied when recording an IAA Generator?
pwnified

Re: IAA Generator Record Latency

Post by pwnified »

Well, the new way that multitrack is working is to not do any latency compensation, it just uses the timestamps in the input/output streams. Since IAA is a realtime protocol, the only explanation seems to be that the app in question isn't using the timestamps properly. What is the name of the app?
wyc

Re: IAA Generator Record Latency

Post by wyc »

Thanks for the quick answer. I tested with Patterning and FunkBox, the only two apps I have that seem to be fully IAA Generators (meaning that Multitrack icons for record, play, and rewind show up in the app). They both end up starting before the beat when recorded.