IAA. An endless pain but handy when it works

How to use MultiTrack DAW
harisonzamperla

IAA. An endless pain but handy when it works

Post by harisonzamperla »

So Ive been using Jamup as an IAA effect and then freezing the track. Seems to bake all kinds of weird glitches into the track i didnt hear thru playback. Also I know you added the 20sec silence at beginning and end to flush plugins but it still seems to occasionally have the weird smack echo sound at the beginning and sometimes it still cuts out the plugin effect before the song is over. What gives? Any suggestions?

Id like to help you iron these kinks out. This app is my musical savior so i feel pretty invested in its future
Last edited by harisonzamperla on November 15th, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harisonzamperla

Re: IAA. An endless pain but handy when it works

Ok. I noticed this (jamup IAA track effect in this case)

Render seems to work great consistantly no glitches

Freeze seems to have lots of weird glitches when i use it. Little snaps and crackles in audio, sometimes it cuts out at some point

Ive done a clean load for this test (closed offending plugin and let multitrack relaunch it)

Does freeze have a different render process than mixdown? If so i think maybe the Mixdown code is more stable
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I just tried to freeze a jamup track and got some glitches! Fortunately other apps seem to be good, as a sanity test I tried tonestack and the aufx series and they froze just fine.

Weirdly the same code is used for mixdowns as for the freeze operation. Thanks for the heads up! I have a feeling it might be related to the mono nature of jamup, but I'll look at this again tomorrow and let you know.
harisonzamperla

If I knew the cause I could contact positive grid for you.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

It looks like there is a small but fundamental difference between a freeze operation, and a mixdown, within multitrack. The Mixdown will always start rendering a track from the lowest region on any track, which is usually zero. In contrast a freeze operation will start rendering from the start of the first region on only that track, which is probably not zero.

Unfortunately jamup doesn't seem to be listening to the timestamps and ends up glitching when there is a discontinuity, or setting it to anything other than zero.

So it looks like a temporary workaround would be to place an empty short region at exactly zero, on tracks with JamUp that you wish to freeze, to force the freeze operation to start rendering from zero.

The reason it's like this is because freeze tracks could potentially take a lot of space on the device, especially tracks that have a single region way out into the song. This is also to optimize the freeze time required.

Unfortunately I don't see a way of fixing this on multitracks side. If we always start the timestamps at zero, even when they shouldn't be, then IAA effects that depend on tempo and time signature information will be out of sync, and it would break those other apps. And rendering starting at zero would take extra time and filespace where it doesn't need to.

I want to say thanks for pointing this out - I've heard complaints sometimes about JamUp glitches and was never able to reproduce them.

Let us know if placing a short, low volume region directly at zero on that track, is helping the jamup situation.
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

I'm hoping that IAA is a short term splint and the cure might be the much heralded audio units.
harisonzamperla

@pwnified thanks so much.

Yes! i added a silent bit at the beginning and that fixes the JamUp glitches

I also am gonna contact Positive Grid and let them know so they can fix it in future updates. Is there a concise way to explain the issue to them without bringing in Multitrack specific tech stuff? They need to check for IAA timestamps or something? I could always just copy paste your reply and that would work.

Your support for the community is amazing thank you again
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

@harisonzamperla Hold off on that for a bit, I think there may be something I can do on multitracks side to improve things. I also discovered a different bug, having to do with volume levels on freeze tracks. There will be another point update for multitrack to fix this bug and hopefully the zero region bug workaround. I'll try to figure out exactly where everything is going wrong, then we can contact positive grid if need be. Thanks again!
anfirmor wrote:I'm hoping that IAA is a short term splint and the cure might be the much heralded audio units.
Yeah, it should help. It's less of a 'hack' so there's much less to go wrong.
harisonzamperla

ok sounds good. let me know if you need a tester. I fiddle with audio stuff all day long