Multitrack units with iphone 6?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Evan

Re: Multitrack units with iphone 6?

Post by Evan »

Telefunky wrote: a Scarlett provides nice bang for the buck, but nothing extraordinary
cheers, Tom
Well, my friend, the scarlett 18i8 has an adat in as well as 4 mic pres and also 4 more 1/4" ins at rear. That's the full 16 track complement of multitrack. Far from unextrordinary.
most of the time I record me and a friend maybe 3 mics and some instrument ins, and i dont need to carry a separate interface with me, this fits in my guitar case!

Actually no other usb units offer 4 mic ins, 4 line ins, *and* adat in a *half rack* battery/12v powered unit (you can power it with a phone charger pack which has a 12v out such as the anker series, tested for over 3 hours on the 1818vsl 8 channel unit) you have to Go to full rack size.
Telefunky

Post by Telefunky »

well, 'extraordinary' referred to the mic preamp stages of the Scarlett, not the unit itself
(thought the context was clear)

cheers, Tom
joemiami

Post by joemiami »

Got a new one for the original poster in case he's still interested: the Zoom H6 can feed 6 tracks at once into MTD. Caveat: depending on how much battery is left on the H6, sometimes it will only work in mixdown-stereo mode (where it takes the 6 tracks and mixes them into a left/right stereo signal only).

But with fresh batteries, I was able to record 6 tracks at once. Keep in mind also the 6 inputs are a mix of types: you get 2 built in mic inputs (like the stereo XY capsule), plus 4 additional quarter inch or XLR inputs.
Evan

Post by Evan »

I finally purchased all the hardware. The iPhone 6s Plus works with every USB class compliant audio card I have thrown at it, with all of the inputs (and with Ntrack also all outputs) available. 1818 VSL, edirol ua25ex and a generic stereo card similar to the Shure x2u.
However on iOS 9.3 i now have to use the official Apple lightning to USB cable as other cables, not the devices, but the cables, are not recognized anymore they are trying to screw around people and companies with generic versions of the cable that don't cost $40!
Strangely enough I am the first person to report this on the 6S. Nowhere else on the site could I get direct confirmation that multi channel cards (other than harmonicdog's reply here, and only with the most expensive card on the market) were working with anything above the 5
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Thanks for the update. But yeah, USB audio interfaces have been working great for so long, nobody bothers to report that they still work whenever new phones come out. But believe me, if it didn't work, there would be massive complaint across the interweb and we would all hear about it. Lets hope that never happens!

And yeah, Apple really doesn't like other companies making hardware when they're not on the MFi program, so it doesn't surprise me that they are tightening that up.
Evan

Post by Evan »

i will add, that in ios 9.3 beta 2 we are getting skipping every 5 seconds for a second or so, with multitrack audio cards (1818vsl) on stereo playback, not happening on ios 9.2 so i dont suggest updating!!!!
i have reported it on their feedback program but i dont expect theyll listen.
but mabe theyll have that fixed before public release, possibly its them messing with the data stream on purpose during test versions (like debugging behind the scenes or such).