Importing from Voice Memos

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Hotcreme

Importing from Voice Memos

Post by Hotcreme »

Hey friends,

I've gone nuts searching for forum for the easiest, free way to import audio recorded in the iOS app Voice Memos. Obviously I can plug in to iTunes and drop it via File Sharing. But Multitrack DAW is so well utilized for staying creative without turning on a computer, or when you don't have access.

I'm not particularly interested in downloading another app, despite AudioBus doing so well. I have Dropbox, but I'm not sure if we can import files from Dropbox without another app or a computer. Just want to keep it simple and stay in the creative mindset.

Thanks for your help.
pwnified

Re: Importing from Voice Memos

Post by pwnified »

Dropbox or Google Drive seems the only way. Apple could add export options such as "Open In", to directly open into another app. Or even 'Copy', which would save the most filespace.
Google Drive offers the option to copy to the pasteboard, then you can directly paste onto a track in multitrack. This saves a step as 'Open in' actually makes a copy into the Documents folder that then needs to be copied and pasted. This means the document sits in 3 separate places as opposed to 4 or more.
Actually lets break down where all the places are that a document exists, on its way into multitrack:

1) In the Voice Memos app.
2) In the google drive app Documents Folder.
3) Uploaded to Google Drive servers.
4) "Open In" to MultiTrack, so copied to MultiTrack Documents.
5) Copied to the pasteboard and pasted into a song (now in the songs audio database).
6) in the case of dropbox, also replicated to all your devices with this feature enabled.
So possible 5 or more, 4 of which are on the device.

But if you use 'Send a copy' from the Google Drive app, this is reduced to 3 places that the same file is stored on the device.
If Apple implemented 'Copy' in the Voice Memos app, this would be reduced to 2.
Hotcreme

Post by Hotcreme »

Love this, thank you for customer support.

I stumbled upon importing Voice Memos via downloading after uploading Dropbox, so provided I have an internet connection I'm set. You've done a killer job working with the limited options Apple gives you.

Any incentive to use Google Drive over Dropbox?
Hotcreme

Post by Hotcreme »

You already answered my question, my mistake! Thanks again for the help.
pwnified wrote: Google Drive offers the option to copy to the pasteboard, then you can directly paste onto a track in multitrack. This saves a step as 'Open in' actually makes a copy into the Documents folder that then needs to be copied and pasted. This means the document sits in 3 separate places as opposed to 4 or more.