Input AND Monitor simultaneously with a break-out cable?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
monitorman

Input AND Monitor simultaneously with a break-out cable?

Post by monitorman »

I need to send a line level into my 3G iPod Touch and monitor the audio output live on both the external speaker and the headphones (but not necessarily at the same time). I'm hoping that the Harmonicdog 16-track and this break-out cable...

www.showmecables.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=8335

...will do the trick. Any thoughts? Will it work? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks!
p.s. here's info how how to make the break-out cable (mentioned above) yourself:
http://benttronics.blogspot.com/2009/05 ... phone.html

p.s.s. If you're wondering why I want to do this, it's because I mix audio for iPod games and I would like to monitor my mixes in real time on the target playback system, instead of checking mixes the hard/slow way (load a mix, listen, make notes, re-mix, repeat...)
pwnified

Re: Input AND Monitor simultaneously with a break-out cable?

Post by pwnified »

MultiTrack can monitor live what you are recording, but the current version (1.0) isn't set up to play through the speaker (only the ear receiver or the headphones or line out). The next update will allow speaker selection. iPhone OS wont allow more than one output at a time, and I don't recommend the adapter cables because of the associated problems with input impedances and triggering the ipod player. But some people have had success using them.
monitorman

Post by monitorman »

Hey, thanks for the reply. I look forward to the next version. Hopefully I'm not the only user who needs this function and more people will pick up your app as a result.

On another note, I just discovered this dock mic, which features a stereo line in [Macally iVoiceIII]...

http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/Artic ... icleID=171

Do you know if it will work with Harmonicdog? I have an email into them asking if it's compatible with iTouch 3G. If I get a response, I will post it here.

thanks again
monitorman

Post by monitorman »

...bad news re: Macally dock mic's

"Thank you for your Interest in Macally products. We have discontinued our iVoiceIII & iVoicePro, Also we have tested that they do not work with the New iPod Touch.

Best Regards,
Macally Sales"
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

monitorman wrote:...bad news re: Macally dock mic's

"Thank you for your Interest in Macally products. We have discontinued our iVoiceIII & iVoicePro, Also we have tested that they do not work with the New iPod Touch.

Best Regards,
Macally Sales"
I just tested a macally iVoicePro with an iPod touch 3rd generation and it works. The problem with the macally is that its internal speaker is right next to its microphone, so you can't monitor at the same time as recording unless you plug in headphones (without a mic). It also only has a mono mic but advertises itself as stereo so what you get (with MultiTrack 1.1) is a stereo recording which is really just duplicated mono on left and right. The mic on the macally also has AGC which sucks. But I was able to get a good stereo recording by plugging in stereo mics into the macally, and use headphones for monitoring.