Microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
pwnified

Re: Microphones

Post by pwnified »

Well, they usually don't list all the supported sample rates, but I think these days it's assumed to support the standard rates that are lower than the posted rate. So if it says 48000 it should be ok with 44100 (usually, but not always, the Sound blaster extigy is one example of a 48k unit that doesn't support hardware 44.1k, and uses the drivers to convert the samplerate in software)

It's better to run the hardware at the required rate, rather than a software resample, especially on the cpu constrained iphones and ipods.

Could you let us know what the company is that makes the connection kit you're using?
kana

Post by kana »

So what you are saying is that Multitrack definitely relies on 44,1kHz sample rate provided by the external mics, whereas the Sound blaster as well as probably the Rockband/Singstar microphones support only 48kHz; you are assuming the Blue Yeti supports both sample rates although its officially labeled with 48kHz only.
Sounds still a bit mysterious, but technical life is complex, so why not.

As for the alternative connection kit: I can provide you an ebay link only . It's not a branded product, so I cannot tell you the make. If links are not allowed here, tell me and I will delete it right away. The description is in German, but you should be able to get the idea anyway:
http://cgi.ebay.de/2-1-CAMERA-CONNECTIO ... 1e5da58a1b

Best regards, Kana
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I'm assuming the Yeti supports 44.1k because I'm asking for a 44.1k hardware format and it's delivering it. I could be wrong, but the rockstar mics don't support 48k or 44.1k. (more likely 22k). If the camera connection kit is working, you should get a popup warning in multitrack "Wrong Samplerate" if the audio hardware cant deliver 44.1k but is otherwise connecting. Interesting about that connection kit you linked to, I hadn't heard of that before. Makes me wonder if china is going to produce a usb adapter for the iPhone 4 before anyone else.
kana

Post by kana »

That was very helpful: I'm not getting any warning message, so I have to assume the USB microphones are not recognized at all. Do you as a developer know if the iPad only supports 44,1 and 48kHz natively? That would support your theory that those cheap mics sample with 22kHz only.
As for finding out the sample rate via Audacity: the rate I can choose is the one for the project as a whole, but there's no way to find out the original SR provided by the hardware, so Audacity must perform conversion internally from whatever it gets to whatever the user has chosen.
Not intending to overstrain you, but if you knew an OSX tool that displays the HW capabilities of an audio device, I would be pretty grateful :)
Anyway, I ordered the Yeti microphone, trying out that one will prove if it's the connection kit or the other microphones that are not compatible with the iPad.

Regards, Kana
hessenmusik

Post by hessenmusik »

i build DIY stereo-micpreamp - 36,- euro bugs.
-16,00 Eu xxl multiconnector for iphone(it have all the pins for usb av audio etc)
-12,00 2*parts for schoeps design micpreamp Alice with 48V
-08,00 2*XLR connectors