MultiTrack DAW & Studiotrack work together???

How to use MultiTrack DAW
moogplayer

MultiTrack DAW & Studiotrack work together???

Post by moogplayer »

Hi all, new here

Been reading through the forums and wondering if anyone has attempted to bounce tracks (or import/export) Multitrack DAW tracks with the Studiotrack app. I have used Studiotrack and love the effects implementation. However, the editing, VI, and support for USB devices seems so much better with Multitrack. Would like an environment using both programs. Ideas?
beyond

Re: MultiTrack DAW & Studiotrack work together???

Post by beyond »

moogplayer wrote:Hi all, new here

Been reading through the forums and wondering if anyone has attempted to bounce tracks (or import/export) Multitrack DAW tracks with the Studiotrack app. I have used Studiotrack and love the effects implementation. However, the editing, VI, and support for USB devices seems so much better with Multitrack. Would like an environment using both programs. Ideas?
Definitely, I've just been experimenting with this! Yep, Studiotrack is nearly uneditable, but it has great effects built in, and it doesn't support any kind of true line in via the 30 pin connector/camera connection kit. So I use MultiTrack for recording (so simple, works so nicely), then I audio copy/paste it track by track into StudioTrack, then apply effects as I want to each track. As long as you paste starting at the beginning of the track, then everything is synched from a time perspective. Works great so far!

The key here is you need to compose and arrange completely in MultiTrack (which it's awesome for anyway), then copy and paste each track into StudioTrack; if you make any changes to your master tracks, then you need to re-paste those into StudioTrack, which is easy.

So you compose, record and arrange in MultiTrack, then you mix and master in StudioTrack -- all without ever leaving the iPad! :mrgreen:
moogplayer

Post by moogplayer »

beyond - thanks for the reply, that's great news.

Is it easy to bounce back & forth? How are you accomplishing that?

I was thinking of - say - recording 20 tracks on MT, bouncing a few individual tracks to Studiotrack, adding efx, and bouncing those tracks back to MT. However, your solution I think would work for me as well.
dstole

Post by dstole »

I think studio is limited to 8 tracks, so you would have trouble with your suggested scenario. You could use it for submix bouncing, but that will be very time consuming. For a 20 track project you would probably be better of getting the tracks on your computer and using a fully featured DAW.

Edit: sorry, missed the part where you said "a few tracks." sorry.
moogplayer

Post by moogplayer »

All good :)

I think I am up for this challenge to keep it all in the iPad environment. Moving from Pro Tools 5 / Mac OS9 environment to this. I have some outboard compression + efx. Hope to post results soon.
jkevinwolfe

Post by jkevinwolfe »

Thanks for giving us some new possibilities. Can you bounce stereo tracks to Studio Track? I was under the impression that it could only handle mono tracks.