Is this possible with MT DAW?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Touchy

Is this possible with MT DAW?

Post by Touchy »

Hi i am thinking of getting MT but a a question 1st :-

Is it possible to import a song for the itouch library (mp3), loop a region copy that region to another track, then loop and copy another region to a different track, and so on. then save all those loops as seperate files in .Wav format for copy and pasteing into other apps that only support wave files?. And if that is possible how easy or difficult is it.

EDIT:- And does it have tap tempo for setting the tempo of the imported song?

Cheers
Touchy
Touchy

Re: Is this possible with MT DAW?

Post by Touchy »

Come on someone must know, pwnified?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Sorry for the delayed response. Currently it is possible to "bounce" regions into a single region iff the copied regions reside on more then one track. So it's possible to create arbitrary regions consisting of other regions entirely within multitrack, but it's a little convoluted. You could then leave all those regions in the same song, and then open that song whenever you need regions for copying. So it's possible, but probably not ideal.
Touchy

Post by Touchy »

Ok thanks for the responce pwnified :)

Just to be clear, you are saying that i could create multipul loops/regions within the same song/track, then copy thoses loops from that track one by one when i need them?

If the imported song is in mp3 format, and i copy a loop from it will it be copied in mp3 format or will it automaticly be converted into a.wav for use in other audio apps?

I am not sure you understood my 1st question fully, i will try and explain it again. what i want to do is this :-

1) Import a song onto track 1, create a region or loop within that song.
2) copy or bounce that loop onto track 2
3) Go back to track 1 create another loop (different point in the song)
4) Copy or bounce that loop onto track 3, and so on, etc.

Then i want to save each loop on each track 2,3,4,etc. As a separate .wav file into the hotbox? (not sure if that is right, i don't own MT yet), not bounce all the loops/regions into one file. Again are mp3's automaticly saved or bounced into wavs, or can you specify to save each loop as .wav?.
I need to beable to line up the different loops on different tracks to make sure they flow together, and i won't be able to do that if all regions/loops are at different places in the same song/track.

Hope you get what i am trying to say.

cheers
Touchy
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

When audio is imported into multitrack it gets converted to wav on import. You can use the loop markers to bracket a portion of a region, and then open the hotbox inside that bracketed portion and make a copy. When you paste it will be just that portion. So you can use the loop markers as a way of controlling what gets copied. If you paste within multitrack, the bin will be reused to save space, so the new region just points to the same audio bin and you can adjust the start and end points of the new region. If you paste into another app, it will be a new wav file consisting of just the data in that portion. I hope that makes sense. Basically a copy in multitrack is both the actual file data (wav format), as well as the region data, but depending on what you paste into determines what is used.

Currently the only way to get audio into the shared folder (from within multitrack) is to do a mixdown, which uses the name of the song as the filename. So we can't use the mixdown feature to create the separate loops unfortunately.

But I think you can do what you want, you just have to select all the regions that are going to be in your new loop, and copy them. And possibly use the loop markers to bracket the portion you want. You could then paste into another app that allows saving to a file, and use that other app as the "manager" of all the loops.

Thanks for bringing this up, I'm now considering more loop management capabilities.
Touchy

Post by Touchy »

Thanks. yeah it sounds like it can do what i want it to. If i copy the region/loop bracket, and paste it in to another app it's just the audio inside the bracket that gets pasted right? and i can paste within MT to different tracks? and move thoses loops about to line them up. But all the loops are just referenced to the original song.

Thats great that you are also considering more loop options in MT!
I appreciate your help, keep up the good work.

EDIT, just thought of something, can i copy "all" loops at the same time and paste them all into another app, and there will get pasted as separate audio files, or do i have to copy them one by one?

Cheers
Touchy :)
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Touchy wrote:If i copy the region/loop bracket, and paste it in to another app it's just the audio inside the bracket that gets pasted right?
Yes, just make sure to open the hotbox inside the loop markers if you want it trimmed to that bracket.
Touchy wrote: and i can paste within MT to different tracks?
If the source regions are on separate tracks, they will all be bounced together. It will use the volume and pan settings in the track. The audio will be normalized. Then a paste will be a single new region consisting of all the merged audio in a new bin. If the destination track doesn't have the same number of channels, the audio will be munged into a matching number of channels and a warning displayed.

If the source regions are on the same track, then the paste (within MultiTrack) will be a list of the copied regions (trimmed to the loop markers if required)
Touchy wrote:EDIT, just thought of something, can i copy "all" loops at the same time and paste them all into another app, and there will get pasted as separate audio files, or do i have to copy them one by one?
When pasting into another app, it will always be a single (mono or stereo) bin (wav file).