Printing effects

How to use MultiTrack DAW
muzicman

Printing effects

Post by muzicman »

I searched the forum and read about how to do it, but I'm still having trouble. I want to use a mic room effect, but without it being burned in the track the pan acts like a volume leaving the signal in mono. With the iaa effect printed I could then use the pan control correct? I just couldn't follow the whole 'copy more than one track, leave a little region open' stuff. I'm still new to any kind of digital anything. One step at a time I guess. Thanks
pwnified

Re: Printing effects

Post by pwnified »

Hmm, I think it might have been talking about a little known feature of when copying from more than one track. Usually when copying from a single track, only the region sizes and lengths are copied. So when pasting it just places new regions with the same sizes and lengths, that point to the same underlying audio files (bins). So nothing is printed in this case.

But when copying from more than one track, everything is baked into a new region, with effects. So the workaround at the time, if you wanted to copy all from a single track and bake the results, was to create an empty region on another track, then make the copy with all the source regions selected including this fake region.

But this should be largely unneeded now since Freeze tracks were implemented. Now you should be able to freeze a track, with IAA effects, and the IAA plug will be released for use on other tracks. You can then copy the freezed track, or parts of the freezed track (using the Loop Marker trick), and the copy will have the effects.

Let me know if the freezed track is able to pan, that seems to be a different problem of when effects don't properly implement stereo.
muzicman

Post by muzicman »

Tried the 'loop marker trick' with the freezed track, then copied and pasted it to a new track. No effects. What am I doing wrong?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Does the freeze track have effects?
muzicman

Post by muzicman »

When i make sure the effect is the way I like it, I hit freeze, and the area turns blue, but when I hit play it's silent. Man, I don't get it! I tried every which way and then some.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

That sounds like a bug possibly with the IAA effect. When multitrack freezes the effect it first clears it out with a large amount of silence before rendering. It's possible the effect isn't dealing well with this. What is the name of the App you're trying to freeze? And also what device is this on?
muzicman

Post by muzicman »

The app is a IK Multimedia mic room thing. For use with the iRig microphone. Maybe it just won't work for what I want it to. But I also tried to do the same with a univibe effect from the Hendrix amplitube. Same results on my year old iPod.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Hmm, yeah I think it has something to do with that blank space before the freeze operation. I tested again on a bunch of other FX apps including the AUFX series and ToneStack, and it's working, but not on IK multimedia's implementation. Grrr... thus are the problems with IAA... I'll see what I can do for this. Thanks for the bug report and apologies for the inconvenience.
muzicman

Post by muzicman »

Hey no problem. This doesn't take away from how awesome this app is. This thing is a blast, and has brought my chops back from the dead.
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

"pan acts like a volume"
Haven't we seen this before? The dreaded insert effect won't pan thing?

Mic Room seems to be really flakey as an IAA effect.