Zoom H4n for mic?

How to use MultiTrack DAW
livemusic

Zoom H4n for mic?

Post by livemusic »

Hello, I am a songwriter and need to do demo's, primarily acoustic guitar/vocal. I have a Zoom H4n recorder and it's awesome by itself. I am certainly no expert but I have lucked up into making some really good-sounding recordings with the H4n. It has provided very warm and intimate recordings. But I have a new iPhone 6s and bought your app to use with it. I must be dense, lol, because I have not been able to lay down a guitar track on the H4n and then a vocal on a second track. With your app, versus using the iPhone's onboard mic, would the H4n be a superior mic? How, exactly, would I hook it up to the iPhone and would I have to change any settings in your app to use it?
pwnified

Re: Zoom H4n for mic?

Post by pwnified »

In general I think the h4n should work with iOS, you may want to search around to make sure but with a CCK and maybe a powered hub I think it should work. I would try to use 44.1 kHz because it's more standard, but that shouldn't really matter as the samplerates will be converted by iOS if they don't match.
hughm

Post by hughm »

Hi. Hope you're still around. I've just bought Multitrack and used it to record with my ZOOM H2n, using both stereo and 4-channel surround, which gets merged into stereo but still sounds "surroundy". I have set MutiTrack to 24/48 and it worked a treat.
BUT I also want to edit stuff I've recorded with the H2n on its own and the file I imported via my iTunes on a PC, and then copied to the clipboard, gets converted to MONO - which I don't want. Anybody know how to get round that - is there a getaround?
hughm

Post by hughm »

Hi again
This is my second reply to this. Regarding connection of H4n or other ZOOM devices to iOS can only but done - if you want stereo, that is - by using a USB to Lightning powered converter - Apple's is expensive, but imitations can be nasty. Direct connection will result in a msg telling the attached device drains too much power. You can power using a wall charger or a battery pack if it's big enough.