IAA Soft Drummer issue

How to use MultiTrack DAW
grb

IAA Soft Drummer issue

Post by grb »

Hi,

Trying to use Soft Drummer into Multitrack DAW via IAA. I can choose it is as in IAA source but when I start play or rec Soft Drummer does not start.

If I swap to Soft Drummer and start it playing, and then go back to MtDaw and hit play or rec it stops Soft Drummer - suggesting some kind of stop/start signal does get sent ? (The MtDAW project tempo sometimes gets set in Soft Drummer when armed).

Tried the same in Cubasis which just works. As soon as Cubasis starts it starts Soft Drummer at the correct tempo and starts in sync.

Help?

grb.
pwnified

Re: IAA Soft Drummer issue

Post by pwnified »

I have an email in with the developers of Soft Drummer. It seems that since multitrack is working with other drum apps, they might be doing something wrong with their implementation. I'll let you know when I find out more.

When you start soft drummer manually and record in multitrack, is it synced with multitrack (ie. the beats align with the ruler?)
espiegel123

Post by espiegel123 »

I am having the same problem.

Fwiw, Soft Drummer starts via IAA with Cubasis and AUM, but it seems to start one beat late.

grb wrote: June 22nd, 11:25 pm Hi,

Trying to use Soft Drummer into Multitrack DAW via IAA. I can choose it is as in IAA source but when I start play or rec Soft Drummer does not start.

If I swap to Soft Drummer and start it playing, and then go back to MtDaw and hit play or rec it stops Soft Drummer - suggesting some kind of stop/start signal does get sent ? (The MtDAW project tempo sometimes gets set in Soft Drummer when armed).

Tried the same in Cubasis which just works. As soon as Cubasis starts it starts Soft Drummer at the correct tempo and starts in sync.

Help?

grb.
espiegel123

Post by espiegel123 »

@pwnified: Soft Drummer came out with a new release where IAA sync and start/stop is working well with AUM and Cubasis. Have you had a chance to look into the issue? MT Daw is my preferred audio sketch pad. Would love to have these two apps playing nice.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Weird, they must be using midi start/stop to trigger the stream, because multitrack is definitely filling out the 'host callbacks'. Unfortunately the developer is not responsive, they don't seem to have customer service either judging from some iTunes reviews. I'll see what I can do about getting this working with midi start/stop.
espiegel123

Post by espiegel123 »

That would be awesome. It is a great app and would love to have it working with MT Daw. It FWIW, SoftDrummer starts/stops ok when used as IAA with Audiobus 3 and Cubasis and GarageBand. (Well at least it did in the version available before this week's update)
espiegel123

Post by espiegel123 »

I just confirmed that current SoftDrummer starts/stops correctly with transports in GarageBand, Auria Pro and Cubasis and Audiobus 3. So, whatever they send seems to work. Michael (the AB3 dev)seems open about communicating. So maybe you can ping him to see what he sends to IAA when the AB3 play button is pressed.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Are you using a project samplerate in multitrack different from the hardware samplerate? There may be an issue with the conversion of the timebases.
espiegel123

Post by espiegel123 »

Nope. Same hardware sample rate and project sample rate. The audio can be recorded but start/stop of transport doesn't work -- so, one can't synch it. I think the Soft Drummer developer feels that since start/stop with IAA is working with apps like GarageBand and Cubasis, et al that he isn't planning on digging deeper.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Ok thanks, I'm going to be checking this out carefully over the next couple days.