Blue Yeti and iPad errors

How to use MultiTrack DAW
theHBD.com

Re: Blue Yeti and iPad errors

Post by theHBD.com »

Took the plunge and ungraded to 4.2. Went out and bought the Gigaware 4-port USB 2.0 Desktop Hub (powered) from Radioshack. It works nicely without having to actually power the hub, (I did plug everything into the iPad before powering the iPad up).
The only issue I'm trying to work out is that I'm not able to hear through the Yeti headphone jack but can through the iPad jack.
beyond

Post by beyond »

theHBD.com wrote:Took the plunge and ungraded to 4.2. Went out and bought the Gigaware 4-port USB 2.0 Desktop Hub (powered) from Radioshack. It works nicely without having to actually power the hub, (I did plug everything into the iPad before powering the iPad up).
The only issue I'm trying to work out is that I'm not able to hear through the Yeti headphone jack but can through the iPad jack.
And after I plugged in my headphones, I lost power on the Yeti and plugged in my Gigaware hub. I wonder if utilizing the monitoring within the Yeti is too much of a power draw?
crowdies

Post by crowdies »

Can anyone suggest a hub that will definately work with the Roland UA-1G USB Audio Interface? Worked fine before but ipad upgrade.

regards
beyond

Post by beyond »

crowdies wrote:Can anyone suggest a hub that will definately work with the Roland UA-1G USB Audio Interface? Worked fine before but ipad upgrade.

regards
I got the gigaware hub from Radio Shack, seems to work fine with my UA-1G, though I'll admit I've been running it with AC power, I haven't yet confirmed that it will work without external power. But powered, it works great. :mrgreen:
bgrier

Post by bgrier »

New caller, first post :D

On the weekend I had no problem using this powered 4 port USB hub with my Yeti.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/P ... .aspx?cc=1

Quite enjoying the mic and using it on the iPad with the Camera Connection kit now. I hope Apple doesn't mess it up with the rumored upcoming update :(
zachnfine

Post by zachnfine »

I bought a connectland 4-port usb hub from Amazon (CL-U2MNHUB-4W), and initially had some success, but then quickly the warning showed up and the Yeti lost power. It was an imperfect solution.

So I tried a USB Y-cable that came with one of my portable USB-powered drives, and that in combination with the hub works every time.

I have the hub connected to the iPad Camera Connection USB outlet, then the power USB end of the Y-cable is connected to the outlet of a USB battery (an XTG solar charger, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00449U3K0/), the data end of the Y-cable is connected to the Yeti, and the other end of the cable is connected to the hub. I turn on the battery's power, the Yeti powers up, and then I connect the Camera Connection kit to the iPad. Works every time, and I haven't seen a power warning since.
Dear_sputnik

Post by Dear_sputnik »

Hey folks, long time viewer, first time poster.

First off, Thank you to those who have contributed to this particular post. I bought the 4 port belkin 2.0 usb hub that somebody suggested and it worked beautifully as a buffer for my yeti and ipad 2 (even without being charged after the first use)

Now, for those still wondering, i upgraded my ipad to ios 5 and my yet still works fine... No problems whatsoever
zbwu

Post by zbwu »

pwnified wrote:Yeah, this is very cool. I've now tried a bunch of different hubs and some work to clamp the voltage spike.

These hubs work:
Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Hub, White
Worked fine with the Yeti, even on a cold start. Works just as before this whole fiasco started. (plugging in headphones to the Yeti while live can still trigger the power warning)
(This hub is recommended)

Connectland CL-U2MNHUB-4B 4 Ports USB V2.0 Mini Hub (Black)
I had the power warning with the Yeti on a cold start, but I tried a couple more times and it started working (probably a capacitor in the Yeti needs to be charged up).
(use the on/off switches to power up the port)

Belkin F4U016 4-Port Desktop USB Hub with Power Supply
See previous posts about this unit.

Doesn't work:
Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub F5U407 (fails to clamp voltage peaks)
Staples 7-Port Square USB 2.0 Hub (just doesn't work)
Dynex 4 Port USB 2.0 Powered Hub - DX-H420P (just doesn't work)
Belkin High-Speed USB 2.0 7-Port Hub (just doesn't work)

Thanks Don for posting about this. The crazy thing is that I had tried this before, on a hunch, a while ago but none of my hubs worked without power, so I just gave up at the time.
Thanks for sharing! I've personally tried out the following:

1) Belkin Ultra-Slim Series 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub (F4U040v)
Works with Blue Yeti without connecting to power adapter! Works with Zoom H1 too (44khz/16 bit only)

2) E-Blue Lysium USB Hub
Doesn't work with Blue Yeti or Zoom H1, with error "draw too much power". Works with USB thumb drive though

Post by 201404100344 »

any solution for those who need to charge their ipad while using a yeti mic?
dominicperry

Post by dominicperry »

201404100344 wrote:any solution for those who need to charge their ipad while using a yeti mic?
No, you need a MFi (Made For iOS) interface. The Blue Yeti is not.

Dominic