Blue Yeti and iPad errors

How to use MultiTrack DAW
beyond

Re: Blue Yeti and iPad errors

Post by beyond »

So, is anyone is willing to try the final version of iOS 4.2 to see if their Yeti still works without a powered hub? I'm a little nervous to try it myself. :mrgreen:

But man, I want those folders for the apps... :mrgreen:
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

iOS 4.2.1 is the public release for iPad, now available in iTunes. Sadly, it still has the problem of not being able to power the Yeti or the other devices like the mobilpre, by USB alone. So again, if you need to stay portable, I recommend NOT upgrading until this is sorted, or until we get some feedback from Apple on the issue. I have also confirmed that all devices work just fine when using a powered usb hub though.
theHBD.com

Post by theHBD.com »

Is there a certain powered USB that's best? I tried plugging it into one I already own (a four hub ADS) and it still didn't work when I had 4.2 installed. I may be willing to put up with the cumbersome hardwire of a USB if I know it will work.

Looking forward to getting the MultiTrack DAW on my iPad!
jamsden

Post by jamsden »

Good news. I was able to get bot the Blue Yeti and EyeBall working with iPod 4.2 using two different USB 2.0 hubs. So it looks like Apple is telling us that USB devices should expect to provide their own power. Possibly after more of these devices become available, they'll turn on the iPhone USB.

I tried experimenting with various USB cables to see if I could find a simpler solution that just used the iPad USB charger to power the Mics, then T-into the iPad. But so far that didn't work. So this is to some extent an improvement since the smaller eyeball and snowflake will work now.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I just tried the Art USB Dual Pre, it works without a hub, and can still power phantom powered mics. The design of this unit uses very little power.
jamsden wrote:Possibly after more of these devices become available, they'll turn on the iPhone USB.
Funnily enough that was also my initial speculation.
jamsden wrote:So this is to some extent an improvement since the smaller eyeball and snowflake will work now.
Have you tried the snowflake and it works?
theHBD.com wrote:Is there a certain powered USB that's best?
I was just using a "Staples" brand 7 port hub. I wouldn't say best, but no problems so far.
FranksRiffs

ART USB Dual Pre Two-Channel Preamplifier/Computer Interface

Post by FranksRiffs »

Am I correct in assuming that an iPad with iOS 4.2 and a camera connection kit will work with the ART USB Dual Pre Two-Channel Preamplifier/Computer Interface? (This uses a 9volt for phantom)
Unit here: http://amzn.to/gfHX98

Just purchased DAW and looking for input options. I have an iMic that seems to work well but this Art unit would be sweet.

On another note, if I had to ask for a really awesome addition to DAW... real time monitoring of input effects. SonomaWireworks has this on its 4Track and is adding it to StudioTrack.

Thanks.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

The Art is exhibiting problems, see this: http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic. ... 1935#p1935
fcoco

Post by fcoco »

Hmmm... Does anyone know if this is a problem for the iphone as well? I'm still running 3.1.2 and I don't want to switch to 4 if there will be problems running the multitrack app
Greenpea

Post by Greenpea »

pwnified wrote:I think the instructions here should work: http://www.techtosh.com/ipad/downgrade- ... -to-3-2-2/
I followed an almost identical procedure to downgrade a 3G from 4.0 to 3.1.3 and it worked fine. Good luck.
Here's what I did: I went to the apple store and explained I needed to get back to 3.2.2 and after some predictable discussion about Apple not supporting "downgrades" the Genius swapped my iPad (which contained the dreaded 4.2) for a "new old stock" one that had 3.2.2 installed from the factory. Works like a charm with my Yeti.

iPad stock will quickly turn so that Apple will shortly be selling iPad's only with 4.2, but the Genius Bar in the Apple store always has a separate supply of iPads (maybe just a couple) that they keep for swapping purposes, and this separate supply typically does not turn as fast and because it's older stock ....if you can get one in the next week or so it's likely to be running 3.2.2.

Good luck!
Don

Post by Don »

I had the same problem of not being able to use the Blue Yeti with the current OS. However, when I insert the Belkin 4 port USB desk hub into the chain, everything works fine, EVEN WITHOUT PLUGGING THE POWER ADAPTER INTO THE DESK HUB. Huh?