Blue Yeti and iPad errors

How to use MultiTrack DAW
theHBD.com

Blue Yeti and iPad errors

Post by theHBD.com »

I am running OS 4.2 on my iPad, trying to connect a newly purchased Blue Yeti mic to it with Apple's camera connection adapter for the iPad. I also have Blue's recording app installed on the iPad.

I continuously get the error message, "Cannot Use Device - The connected USB device requires too much power."

I have tried shorter USB cables than the one that came with the Yeti, I have plugged it into the iPad all the various ways, (connected to adapter first, adapter in iPad and then mic, etc.), with headphones connected and without, gain levels on front and back of Yeti completely down, half way, quarter way, etc., notifications on the iPad off. I have even tried it with a powered hub plugged into the adapter with the mic plugged into the powered hub, but still get the error message. I have set the iPad to airplane mode with no luck.

Is anyone else having these issues? Is there something I'm missing? Could there be something with the connector kit? The mic works perfect on my laptop. It's just getting it to work with the iPad that's not happening.

Any suggestions other than the ones I've tried? Your feedback is appreciated.
pwnified

Re: Blue Yeti and iPad errors

Post by pwnified »

The latest iOS 4.2 has altered the maximum power that a device is allowed to draw. It was 100MA which was just enough for the Yeti, but now it's around 20MA. For the Yeti, you'll have to use a powered USB hub.

I recommend not upgrading to 4.2 if you need to stay portable.
theHBD.com

Post by theHBD.com »

Thanks. That's what I suspected. How do I get rid of 4.2 that is already on my iPad (I bought it from a friend already installed). I tried doing a restore while plugged into iTunes and I get an error message there and it won't let me restore.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I think the instructions here should work: http://www.techtosh.com/ipad/downgrade- ... -to-3-2-2/
I followed an almost identical procedure to downgrade a 3G from 4.0 to 3.1.3 and it worked fine. Good luck.
kyanit

Post by kyanit »

Could this become an issue for iPhone 3GS and Blue Mikey v2? I haven't been able to find the power requirements for Mikey on their website.
theHBD.com

Post by theHBD.com »

Thanks, pwnified. I actually have an appointment at the Genius Bar this morning.

I originally used the Mikey on my iPhone 3GS and it worked great. Then I upgraded to iPhone 4 and the Mikey does not work on it, (they changed the pin structure or something - so no one get a Mikey if you have an iPhone 4!).

So I decided to get the iPad with the Yeti for field recording. And then this happens. I love Apple but they keep screwing up my sound.
theHBD.com

Post by theHBD.com »

Just an update:

Apple Genius guy got me back to 3.2.2. I re-installed my apps, plugged in the Yeti and I have success!

Does anyone know the most current OS I can use before I run into problems? Obviously, not 4.2, but are people running 4.1 with the Yeti with no glitches?

Thanks for all your help and feedback. Much love.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Cool, glad you got it going. So the last version of iOS that supports 100MA is the one you have now (3.2.2), there was no 4.1 release for the iPad.
beyond

Post by beyond »

HOLLLLLD on a moment -- are we saying the Blue Yeti -- the mic that sells in the apple stores -- that I paid $160 for to use with my iPad/cam connection kit -- isn't going to work on its own with iOS 4.2 on the iPad? Please say I'm misunderstanding something. Pleeeeeeease.
theHBD.com

Post by theHBD.com »

Yup, that's the Yeti. And nope, from my experience, it will not work on 4.2. Works like a charm now that iPad is back to 3.2.2 OS. I had even plugged a powered hub into the camera connector with the Yeti and it still didn't work.

Beware of the iPad upgrade if you plan on using Yeti with your iPad. Unless they develop of work around, the mic will merely act as a $150 paperweight for your lyrics. Nothing more.