Downloading tracks to computer

How to use MultiTrack DAW
seanplaysaredguitar

Downloading tracks to computer

Post by seanplaysaredguitar »

I just got the recorder. This thing is great! I am having problems downloading tracks to my computer though. Every time I try to download the track it just ends up playing it online. I am using Safari on a Mac. Can someone help?
fgrittner

Re: Downloading tracks to computer

Post by fgrittner »

It is confusing. Highlight a Download and right click your mouse. A couple of commands for downloading links will appear. One will download to your default download folder. Another gives you the ability to direct the download to a different location.

Fred
seanplaysaredguitar

Post by seanplaysaredguitar »

Thanks for your help. That is confusing. I tried something similar, but when that didn't work I gave up. I would never have figured that out without your help.
Sean
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I just learned about the "Content-disposition" for a web page, which can make the default behavior to download the link without opening, I think this is what most people would want so the next version of MultiTrack will have this.
jamsden

Post by jamsden »

I haven't been able to successfully download, except through the Ruby program I wrote to transfer a whole song into a Reaper project. I see the song page and the download link, but clicking on the link attempts to play the .wav file using the embedded QuickTime player, but nothing ever plays. Right click and download link as... attempts to download the file, but its always 0 length. This happens on Windows or Mac using Firefox, and on Safari on the Mac. I'm using Mac OS X 10.6.1. Safari gives an error on the download page indicating the file was not found on the server.

Any ideas?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

When MultiTrack receives a request for a track through the web server, it renders the track out to a temporary file by combining a bunch of smaller files, into a temporary directory, before uploading to the client. If the device doesn't have enough room to build the temporary wav file it would have this problem, the first thing to check is the amount of filespace on the device. I tried to make sure the temp files always get cleaned up, but it could happen that remnants are being left under specific circumstances (failed transfers, stopped or interrupted transfers) (you're a developer so could this be possible from debugging?)

I did hear of this download problem happening once before, and we were able to get the customer up and running by reinstalling MultiTrack. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it did fix the problem for that specific user.

One thing to try first as a test. Try renaming the track to a new filename, and then try to download the track again. If that works, then it's a bug and I know what it is.
jamsden

Post by jamsden »

I have 11GBytes free. Changing the track name or song name in MultiTrack sill results in 0 bytes being loaded. I wonder if this happened because of the testing of my Ruby program which may have failed, or I stopped it in the middle of downloads which resulted in the temp files not being deleted? It appears MultiTrack is not creating the temp file.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

jamsden wrote:I wonder if this happened because of the testing of my Ruby program which may have failed, or I stopped it in the middle of downloads
I suspect so. Could you send me an email to my address in my sig and we'll try to work this out.
jamsden

Post by jamsden »

Just a quick followup: I have had cases where the downloads failed with 404 and 0 lenght files, or never completed - without ever using my Ruby program. An I have had cases where the Ruby program can still download the tracks while the web browser won't. Go figure.

Re-installing the app clears this up for a while, but the the problem comes back. I think it could be caused by errors in, or failure to complete a download leaving the iPhone in some bad state, something that is quite likely on WiFi connections.
mbwelby

Post by mbwelby »

I've had the same problem downloading to computer on Mac with Safari & PC with Firfox & also with Explorer - 0 length files - renamed them - restarted MultiTrack - refreshed everything but nothing is working
Mark