Lexicon Omega (4 Inputs simultaneously)

How to use MultiTrack DAW
pwnified

Lexicon Omega (4 Inputs simultaneously)

Post by pwnified »

MultiTrack DAW can record up to 4 mono tracks, or 2 stereo tracks, at the same time. Version 3.0.2 on the app store can do this!

UPDATE: This features requires iOS5 from apple.

Using a Lexicon Omega connected to the camera Connection Kit into an iPad 1 or 2, you can arm 4 mono tracks, each set to a different input:

On the large popup Arm button, use the spinner control to select "Mono 1", "Mono 2", "Mono 3", and "Mono 4" on separate tracks:
4mono.jpg
This feature has actually been in there for a while, but I wasn't aware of any audio devices capable of USB 1.1 and 4 inputs that worked with the Camera connection kit. Here is more info on the discovered unit:

http://www.lexiconpro.com/product.php?id=6
omega.png
I got one from amazon for 150 bucks.

This has never been tested up until now, and surprisingly the bugs are minimal:

1) When undoing a recording on previously empty armed tracks, the input meters go away. But recording still works. To see the input meters again, unarm and rearm the tracks.
2) Undoing recordings of the 4 tracks requires 4 undo operations.
3) Stereo C should be labeled as Stereo B.

UPDATE: These bugs have been fixed in MultiTrack DAW 3.1 available on the app store.

Please let me know if you find any other audio devices that work with more than 2 inputs!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
freesoulvw

Re: Recording 4 tracks simultaneously

Post by freesoulvw »

I just tested my audiogram6 from Yamaha. It allowed me to arm as many tracks as I had input sources for. Meaning,if I had two guitars plugged into the interface it allowed me to arm two separate tracks if I assigned them each a mono track I could record both guitars at the same time!

So if you want to find a different USB interface that does the same as the lexicon in Multitrack DAW through the CCK then there you go. Another option. Good luck.
Last edited by freesoulvw on August 29th, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavePDX

Post by DavePDX »

I was excited to try this and picked up a Lexicon Omega, but alas, it doesn't work for me with the iPad 2. I can arm 4 separate tracks, but MT never sees the signal from USB 3 & 4. Since the Omega can assign any input set to any output set, I tried all the combinations, but regardless, only the signal assigned to USB 1 & 2 were received by MT.

I also tried various reboot and reconnection orders to no avail. I'll try again tonight with my wife's iPad 1. I'm going to try it with a computer as well, to make sure the unit isn't defective. Meantime, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Edit: Just tried this on my MBP, and channels 3 & 4 work fine. However, I did notice that on the Mac, there are choices of available USB I/Os:
Lexicon Mac USB
Lexicon Win USB 1-2 In/Out
Lexicon Win USB 3-4 In Only

Selecting either Win USB was allowed, and they showed up in Garageband, but (of course) there was no audio passed.
Perhaps this somehow is related. Maybe my Omega has old firmware, though there isn't any upgrade available on the Lexicon site that I could find.

From the System Profiler USB info, this is how it shows up:
Product ID: 0x0002
Vendor ID: 0x1210
Version: 1.00
Serial Number: Lex1.00
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Lexicon
Location ID: 0x3d100000 / 2
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 0

Edit 2: Also tried this on the iPad 1 (also running iOS 4.3.3) and it is also a no go. Pretty well confirms that this feature relies on iOS 5.x.
Last edited by DavePDX on September 2nd, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

If multitrack can arm mono 1 through 4, that means the Lexicon is properly advertising all the 4 inputs. For some reason, it's just not sending them over the wire.

Make sure all the stereo/mono buttons on the Lexicon are out (set to stereo), and mic 1 and mic 2 are usb assigned to 1-2, Line 3 and Line 4 are assigned to 3-4.

My System profiler has the same info as yours, Firmware 1.0.

I had two phantom powered mics in Mic 1 and Mic 2, and two more battery powered condensors in Line 3 and Line 4, with MultiTrack 3.0.2, and all inputs are seen and recorded.

Holy shit, now that I think about it, it could be something to do with the iOS version. I'm running iOS5 beta. What iOS are you running?
DavePDX

Post by DavePDX »

I'm running firmware 4.3.3. I just double checked and everything works exactly as expected for USB 1 & 2. I can use any input (xlr 1 or 2, line 1,2,3,4 or instrument 3) and as long as I assign it to USB 1-2, it works perfectly. Anything assigned to 3-4 fails to work with MT.

I guess it must be a change in IOS 5, since the Omega works fine with my Mac. I'm really not thrilled about switching to the beta, since I use my iPad 2 for work on a daily basis. I guess it should be getting close to stable though.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Alright, it looks like it's just an iOS5 feature then. Dammit, jumped the gun a bit. At least it's ready for iOS5 but should have done some back testing. iOS5 beta 7 is getting pretty stable, but a lot of apps are going to need updating for it.
Dear_sputnik

Post by Dear_sputnik »

Hey folks,

This sounds amazing! Does anyone know if this works using a blue yeti mic (i suppose it would still require the powered usb hub)
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Dear_sputnik wrote:Does anyone know if this works using a blue yeti mic
To get more than 2 tracks you'll need a device that has more than 2 channels, all on the same device. The Lexicon Omega mentioned above is the only known product at this time.

Unfortunately there is no way to use more than one input device at a time, at least right now. However this could happen in the future, because core audio has support for combining multiple devices into one virtual mega device. Core audio on iOS is basically a port from mac, so it could happen, but it's just speculation right now.
miden

Post by miden »

Hi,

Brand new owner of Multi-track DAW here....trying to sort out interfaces. I have just tried the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB 2...no go,

I am thinking of trying the Alesis io Dock, but afaik, it only allows recording of just two simultaneous audio tracks...

I am also looking at this Omega thing you have mentioned in this thread, but there are a couple of models, could you please specify EXACTLY which model, version number, etc etc so I can make sure I am buying the right one? LOL, I don't want to go thru another Multimix exercise!!!

IO want to multi-track record at a band rehearsal for alter editing on the DAW at home...would ideally like 6-8 tracks, but 4 should do at a pinch...

Any help appreicated :)

Thanks
Dennis
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Check out the Tascam US-800, currently with MultiTrack version 3.1.2 on the app store, it supports 4 tracks simultaneously. The next version of multitrack will support all 8 tracks!

http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=656

About the Omega, unfortunately I dont have the unit right now, but I ordered the amazon bundle which included a mic: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002U9G6KC
The price has gone up since I ordered it. But I highly recommend the Tascam above!