Input options and microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
hanklepstein

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by hanklepstein »

i was thinking about getting the griffin imic because really just need something with stereo in

i don't see anywhere where it mentions if it needs a powered usb hub or not on the first post. this is really important for me

ever since the update my h4n + ipad team is useless to me :(

thanks
iPad730

Post by iPad730 »

4.2 the iPad crippla! :twisted:
Sill on 3.2 till the screen falls off. IMO using powered USB hubs with AC Adapters is a drag. Might as well use your laptop if that's the case. :roll:
A nice portable battery powered hub would be decent, I guess.
hanklepstein

Post by hanklepstein »

yeah i'm realizing that now :(

is there a way to go back to 3.2 (and keeping all my application data)? i'm guessing not....

i REALLY would like to have a stereo input into either my ipod touch or ipad and not be tethered to a wall outlet. is there anything out there?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

See this thread for a workaround to get this working again on iOS4.2.1:
http://forum.harmonicdog.com/viewtopic. ... t=20#p2030

The idea is to use a powered hub, but unpowered (not plugged into the wall), to buffer the voltage spike on initial connection. See the thread above for a list of working hubs.
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

Just got the Blue Mikey 2 for use with iPod touch 3rd generation. I'm unable to monitor. Can anyone recommend a dock extended that works? Thanks.
Anorton

Post by Anorton »

The new Blue Mikey needs a dock extender to monitor with with earphones on the iPod touch 3rd generation.A Blue representative got back to me about the only dock extender that works. Here is the link to the website, but it can also be ordered through Amazon.

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/dockextender/

Edit
I just wanted to check in with an update about the dockextender mentioned above. It works, and the Mikey 2 sounds great.
Last edited by Anorton on January 3rd, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkevinwolfe

Post by jkevinwolfe »

Just wanted to give a report on the iMic. It works fine with the Camera Connector and OS4 on iPad. I have a really old one and bought a new one to compare. Both are about the same. I was surprised that the recording quality with the iMic was better on the iPad than on my old PowerBook that I bought it for. There's very little hiss, but it's prone to distortion so you have to be careful with levels.

I had kind of written iMic off, but as it can do 24bit audio, it's a competent little box when paired with the iPad. Not as good as the Cakewalk, but you don't need a powered hub.
2648wgb

Post by 2648wgb »

I can use the Zoom H2 as a mic and audio interface. when I plug it in direct I get the ,device requires too much power' message. If I plug it in using a Gigaware powered hub it works whether or not the hub is plugged into the wall wart. FWIW I can power the hub using a battery holder with 4 AA cells and use the hub to power my M-Audio Axiom keyboard for at least six hours. Music making on the iPad is starting to come together.
Dr.Grace

Post by Dr.Grace »

I have a really old iMic, and it works in Bluefire perfectly. In Multitrack DAW, however, it only works properly for a while. After I record one or two tracks, the audio playback gets some very strange distortion. If this happens, I have to close Multitrack DAW from the list of running apps, then relaunch. Then I can again use MD to record another track.

Does this mean that my ancient iMIc has developed a problem, or is this an issue with MD or iOS 4.2.1?

On another note, I've had some success using a Logitech USB
Headset adapter. I also read somewhere that Plantronics USB headset dongles can work with the iPad.
anfirmor

Post by anfirmor »

Apologies if this is in the wrong place and over long.

Does anybody know exactly why usb audio is a no go for iphone4 users. Is it because the hardware is not capable in the phone or that the firmware doesn't allow it. Does any device connected have to handshake with the phone which will then will allow/disallow it. I'm curious as to why the camera connection kit is reported as non functioning.

Would it be possible to put a status flag (sticky) somewhere on the forum homepage which could indicate the first appearance of any iphone4 usb kit. The fact that there is such a steep LF roll off on the mic input is a major pain. Once changed a capacitor in an old HTC TYTN to rectify the same problem but don't fancy attempting that on my lovely new iphone4

I must say that I have tried both this program and rectools08 and, for me, this is hands down the winner.