Input options and microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
Sunaj

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by Sunaj »

Can someone help me out?

I'm using a 1/8" to RCA cable when i plug it in my 3g iphone it recognizes it as a headset and i'm able to use a dynamic microphone, how neat, but if the cable gets unplugged and i try to plug it back the software recognizes it as headphones and microphone and the iphones internal mic isn't bypassed. In turn I have to restart my iphone and restart the software for it to recognize it as a headset again.. is there a way to fix this or something? it can be a major inconvenience to ones work flow.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Just a straight cable? What you need is a specially designed cable to trigger iOS into thinking a headset is attached. Please see the first post in this thread for some adapters.
DavePDX

Post by DavePDX »

espiegel123 wrote:Have you found a way to monitor the sound on the iOS device when using it? From what I read, when the device is plugged in the headphones and speaker on the iOS device become disabled. Can you confirm/deny this?

Thanks for the report. I am torn between gettin the iM2 or the Mikey Digital (which has a line-in jack that I might occasionally use).
DavePDX wrote:If you want to record acoustic guitar with MT, I've found a solution that works incredibly well for me: the Tascam iM2

http://www.amazon.com/iM2-Channel-Porta ... 815&sr=8-1

I've been playing and recording acoustic guitar for over 40 years, and have never found anything even close to this in a portable format. The mic sounds best when it's very close to the source, so I've been resting the iPhone on my right knee about 4" from the sound hole of the guitar. I am absolutely blown away by the clarity and authenticity of the recording I can get this way. The mike has a level control built-in, and actually handles loud transients quite well. It does equally well recording fingerstyle and flat picking. So far I've only recorded a Gibson J45 and a Taylor 614c, but they both sound fabulous recorded this way.

I haven't tried miking an electric through an amplifier with it yet, but I suspect it might do well there too, for those wanting to record electric.

I've never been happy with the sound of direct feed guitar recordings, electric or acoustic. I sometimes mix a direct signal in, but in general, with electric guitar, I find miking the amplifier sounds more authentic. With acoustic, no direct signal even with modeling, sounds authentic to me, when compared with a well miked recording. I'm sure others will have a variety of opinions here.

For reference, I've also used a Yeti, Blue Mikey, Samson Meteor, Zoom Hn4, and Apogee Jam with a Fishman Aura. The iM2 sounds better to my ear than any of those, by a long shot, plus it's more portable, and requires almost no setup time.
Monitoring works just fine. You need to do things in the right order for it to work:

1) plug in the iM2
2) Launch MultiTrack DAW
3) plug in a set of regular headphones or earbuds (not a headset) into the headphone jack on the device.

After that everything works as expected.
Sunaj

Post by Sunaj »

pwnified wrote:Just a straight cable? What you need is a specially designed cable to trigger iOS into thinking a headset is attached. Please see the first post in this thread for some adapters.

Well its a mini av cable fore digital cams as has been mentioned in this thread. the first time i plug it in it sees it as a headset, but if i accidentally unplug it then plug it back in it sees it as " headphones and microphone" unless I reboot the device. So I was just wondering what was up with that
CougarFool

Post by CougarFool »

I have just seen that the new Alesis IOMix docking station for the iPad shows it running Multitrack DAW on the screen.

Linky thing
slowd

Post by slowd »

Yes! The Alesis iO Mix seems to be EXACTLY what I am looking for! Too bad availability and more importantly, price, has not been disclosed. Hopefully It's not an arm and a leg (I'll need both arms to play my guitar!).

Harmonicdog! What do you know about the iO Mix?? Since the DAW software is prominently displayed on the Alesis advert, I'm assuming that you know something?? :twisted:
project52

Post by project52 »

Hey pwnified, I'm having the same problem with iPhone 4 and the original adapter that I had designed in the early days. As you know, it always worked. In my case MT never recognizes the adapter as a headset - meaning that between my Alesis ProTrack, my Mikey, and now my simple adapter, I'm limited to the iPhone internal mic. Please tell me there's some way to manually set this so that I can get a mic into this sucker. I took a good long time away from iPhone recording after the year of songwriting and blogging, but this is not what I was expecting when I came back. Quite the bummer. If there's any advice or anything that you can do. I shudder to think that what I have here is just a phone.
Sunaj wrote:
pwnified wrote:Just a straight cable? What you need is a specially designed cable to trigger iOS into thinking a headset is attached. Please see the first post in this thread for some adapters.

Well its a mini av cable fore digital cams as has been mentioned in this thread. the first time i plug it in it sees it as a headset, but if i accidentally unplug it then plug it back in it sees it as " headphones and microphone" unless I reboot the device. So I was just wondering what was up with that
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Since the DAW software is prominently displayed on the Alesis advert, I'm assuming that you know something??
Actually I didn't know they would do that, they had not contacted me beforehand, so I was surprised to see MultiTrack on their product page.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

project52 wrote:Hey pwnified, I'm having the same problem with iPhone 4 and the original adapter that I had designed in the early days.
It sounds like the parallel resistor might need to be tweaked, to a possibly lower value to get it to trigger again. Another thing to make sure of, is to turn off "Speaker Out" in the menu of multitrack. If it was on, it will override what you plug into the headset port.

Good to hear from you project52!@
project52

Post by project52 »

Good to be back. Congrats on all of the great work that you've done with MultiTrack. Crazy to think that when we started there were no mics, no iPad, and very few options for phone recording.

I definitely didn't have the speaker out selected, so it might be the resistor. With my setup, that third pin on the plug is hooked up to a regular dynamic mic if that helps at all. Thanks for looking into it!
pwnified wrote:
project52 wrote:Hey pwnified, I'm having the same problem with iPhone 4 and the original adapter that I had designed in the early days.
It sounds like the parallel resistor might need to be tweaked, to a possibly lower value to get it to trigger again. Another thing to make sure of, is to turn off "Speaker Out" in the menu of multitrack. If it was on, it will override what you plug into the headset port.

Good to hear from you project52!@