Input options and microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
fgrittner

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by fgrittner »

Here is the press release for the new Mikey:

(Westlake Village, California – January 7, 2010) – Blue Microphones (http://www.bluemic.com), a leading innovator in microphone technology and design, announces the second generation Mikey Portable Recorder for iPod and iPhone at CES 2010. Building upon the award-winning audio technology developed for the original Mikey, the second generation is certified for iPod and undergoing iPhone certification, featuring improved circuitry for superior recording and enhanced new features. The latest Mikey, available Spring 2010, along with Blue's recently-released Yeti THX®-Certified USB mic, are being showcased at CES from January 7 – 9 in South Hall 1 at Blue's booth #21836.

"The second generation Mikey is a natural next step for Blue as we continue to expand our consumer audio line to provide the highest-quality portable audio on the market," said John Maier, CEO of Blue Microphones. "With the new Mikey and the Yeti, the world's first THX®-Certified mic, Blue brings portable and USB recording to the next level."

Like the original, Mikey features two custom-tuned Blue capsules for professional-quality stereo recording capabilities. To accompany its sleek new design, Mikey features an improved acoustic circuit that allows for higher quality recordings of high-volume events, like concerts. This next generation Mikey is pending iPhone certification to accompany the already-achieved iPod certification.

The second generation Mikey also boasts a 3.5mm line-input for direct recording of other sound sources such as a guitar or mixer along with a USB pass-thru connection to allow for simultaneous charging and syncing. The updated case design makes Mikey compatible with most protective cases and now features a 230-degree range of adjustability with seven detent positions for perfect positioning. Additionally, the new Mikey comes with a soft carrying pouch for convenient protection and portability. Blue also provides a headphone extension cable for instant playback monitoring when using iPod Touch and iPod Nano.

To complete the mobile audio experience, Blue recently announced Blue FiRe, a free, high-fidelity field recording app for iPhone and iPod touch that is now available from the App Store. Developed in partnership with Audiofile Engineering, the Blue FiRe App is optimized for the second generation Mikey - enabling users to have a complete, high-quality mobile recording experience.

Blue will also be showcasing its recently-released Yeti, the first THX®-Certified microphone. The latest addition to Blue's new consumer line, the Yeti is the ultimate USB microphone for professional recording. The Yeti is first USB mic to offer Blue's premium condenser capsules in a proprietary triple capsule array for the highest quality, most versatile audio recording capability. With four patterns (Omni, Cardioid, Stereo, Bidirectional), Yeti offers studio-quality performance and superior results in any situation.

The new Mikey, MSRP $99.99, will be available Spring 2010, while the Yeti, MSRP $149.99, is currently available at flagship retail partners such as The Apple Retail Store, Guitar Center, Amazon.com and other fine pro-audio and consumer electronics retailers worldwide. For complete details, visit http://www.bluemic.com.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Very cool they partnered up with audiofile engineering. Sounds like they are going to fix the clipping problem. As a bonus, we also get line in and usb (usb is a godsend for trying to debug these things)
MusicMagic

Post by MusicMagic »

I just saw this news on iLounge. I am sure that the product is really nice. However, the unit retails at $100. I am guessing pretty steep as an input option for a $15 app.
Keith

Post by Keith »

I can't wait to try the new Mikey. As a couple of notes, I did have to send my first Mikey back. The level and eq on the right side was very different from the left. Blue was great to work with and got me fixed up quick. As far as the $100 tag, let's take a look at recording prices. 1980: Trident 80B=$30K, MCI 24trk=$25K (no automation). 1993: SSL G=$750k, Sony 48trk=$230k(only volume and mutes automated). 1997: Protools rig $80K. 2009: iPod/mutltitrack experiment $750. Three month rate of return Protools, Multitrack, Trident, SSL. For years a reel of 24trk tape was $150(16mins45sec for 24 tracks). Just a thought.
N8drums

Post by N8drums »

Hi guys,
Great app! sounds awesome and works so nice. I love the zoom feature on adjustment knobs.
My issue so far is that i have an iPod Touch 8gb and the headphone port is on the bottom so the mic i got from belkin, (which is their TuneTalk stereo) (any one w experience on this mic bw?) covers up the port. So i got thinking and purchased a stereo bluetooth headset but every multi track software i've used cuts the audio to these things once the mic is addressed in the software. Any thoughts?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

N8drums wrote:Hi guys,
Great app! sounds awesome and works so nice. I love the zoom feature on adjustment knobs.
My issue so far is that i have an iPod Touch 8gb and the headphone port is on the bottom so the mic i got from belkin, (which is their TuneTalk stereo) (any one w experience on this mic bw?) covers up the port. So i got thinking and purchased a stereo bluetooth headset but every multi track software i've used cuts the audio to these things once the mic is addressed in the software. Any thoughts?
Bluetooth has bandwidth issues for high quality stereo and recording, so is not supported. But definitely check out the dock extender mentioned earlier in this thread.
tmon

Post by tmon »

N8drums wrote:My issue so far is that i have an iPod Touch 8gb and the headphone port is on the bottom so the mic i got from belkin, (which is their TuneTalk stereo) (any one w experience on this mic bw?) covers up the port. So i got thinking and purchased a stereo bluetooth headset but every multi track software i've used cuts the audio to these things once the mic is addressed in the software. Any thoughts?
Here's a "thought:"

http://www.valueoutfitters.com/iPod-Doc ... tender.htm
tmon

Post by tmon »

I wonder if this extender cable would work with the iPod Touch and the new Blue Mikey?

http://www.cablejive.com/extendercable. ... wodeG34HA#
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

The description states "The Dock Extender Cable provides a connection for everything except S-video output, component video, and audio in for recording."

So it looks like not, unfortunately. That company also makes custom doc extender cables, but they state "Audio output or audio input (not both)". I supposed the audio output is not really needed, so you could get them to make one with input only. It's expensive, though. (55 bucks plus 4 bucks per foot = $75.00 for 6 feet)
tmon

Post by tmon »

Whoops. I didn't read the description. My bad.

I'm hoping the valueoutfitters extender would work. The descriptions says, .."All 30 pins are passed through...."