Input options and microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
bastoe

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by bastoe »

DavePDX wrote:I've got a Presonus 1818VSL that works well with MultiTrack, other than the inability to set up the output matrix, which means there's no way to direct sound to the headphone jack on the Presonus. The 1818 uses channels 7 & 8 for that. There are a couple of workarounds:

- Use the headphone jack on the iPad
- Use a headphone amplifier plugged into the mains or channels 1 & 2 of the Presonus

Dave, how do you have it hooked to the ipad?
is there any order of plugging/powering that needs to be observed?
thanks!
DavePDX

Post by DavePDX »

bastoe wrote:On the hookup of a Presonus 8 in/8 out - would I be able to plug the eight instruments/ vocals to the inputs on the Presonus- then take those outputs and run those to the Mackey mixer (main sound board).

So the Presonus would sort of be a splitter sending the signals to both the mixer and mt daw. The focusrite having 6 out would be an ok choice if it would work the same way

Would this work to give 8 channels into MT?

thanks!
As far as I can tell, that's not possible with MultiTrack at this time. The only iPad app I've found that can handle that is Auria, which has an output matrix in its settings.
DavePDX

Post by DavePDX »

bastoe wrote:
DavePDX wrote:I've got a Presonus 1818VSL that works well with MultiTrack, other than the inability to set up the output matrix, which means there's no way to direct sound to the headphone jack on the Presonus. The 1818 uses channels 7 & 8 for that. There are a couple of workarounds:

- Use the headphone jack on the iPad
- Use a headphone amplifier plugged into the mains or channels 1 & 2 of the Presonus

Dave, how do you have it hooked to the ipad?
is there any order of plugging/powering that needs to be observed?
thanks!
I use the CCK from Apple with a Belkin F4U020 hub. This works fine for me without powering the hub. I've found that I get the most consistent results by plugging in the headphones last.

Connect the hub to the 1818
Connect the USB from the hub to the CCK
Connect the CCK to the iPad
Launch MultiTrack, wait for it to complete initialization
Connect the headphones to the iPad headphone jack
Turn on Input monitor as needed
bastoe

Post by bastoe »

thanks- i figured my main issue was not connecting the CCK to the hub usb cable (not just hooking it to a port)

I'll look up the hub you got, this one requires power (Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 4-Port Hub F5U234v1 )
kmangelos

Post by kmangelos »

I've successfully used the Samson Meteor Mic with iPad4. Here's my connection path:

Meteor Mic -> USB cable -> USB Camera Connection Adapter -> 30 pin/Lightening Adapter. Have used successfully with MultiTrack and GarageBand. Works great.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Long time no post. I thought I would update you with my latest. I have had success with my Apogee Symphony with 8 mic pres into iPad. Only hitch is that you have to monitor through iPad. No luck with iPhone 5. Apogee ONE iOS is a go on both. Mic pre sounds very good. Not quite as good as Symphony but better than most. It is a definite must for serious recording. Two AA batteries, phone with Multitrack DAW, nice mic, couple of headphones, and talent. Oh yeah!
enemiesarewatching

Post by enemiesarewatching »

I am currently using a Tascam iu2 and ipad2. I just purchased an ipad4 and would like to continue using the iu2. Can I use a female 30 pin to male usb connected to a lightning usb camera adapter to connect off of the iu2? Thanks
Enemies Are Watching
shreddersinc

Post by shreddersinc »

Does the itrack solo work in 24bit mode with ipad? If it does how do I accomplish that?
fredevery

Post by fredevery »

Has anyone tried to use the Behringer iStudio with the DAW?
DeVoodoo

Post by DeVoodoo »

I have an ipad2 and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I've connected with a camera connection kit.

Here's my problem: when plugging in the audio interface I get a message on the iPad that the "device requires too much power." So, how do I address this? USB hub? Can someone recommend one that definitely works.

Thanks! I'm dying to get cranking...