Input options and microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
pwnified

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by pwnified »

I'm pretty sure the mic input is the sleeve but it's been a while since I tried it. Crosstalk that loud sounds like it probably just a problem with the wiring, try using the sleeve as the microphone 'hot' and ring 2 as ground for outputs and inputs.
Trombophonic

Post by Trombophonic »

Hello,
I got a chance today to go to Guitar Center and I tried out the Alesis Protrack with my iPhone and Multitrack. I had the same problem of not being able to monitor while recording when using the headphone jack on the Protrack. However, I was able to record and monitor simultaniously if I had my headphones plugged into the iPhone (I used standard earbuds without a mic). I was able to overdub several tracks and listen to all previous tracks while recording. Does this sound like a viable solution?
I love the software, thanks for any advice.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Yes, it could work with an iphone, but not an ipod touch because the headphone jack on the touch is on the bottom right next to the dock connector, so it's totally inaccessible. But if you own an iPhone go for it, it sounds amazing with some good mics plugged in.
Trombophonic

Post by Trombophonic »

Thanks for the reply, I will probably buy one this week. I'll post any issues, good or bad, after I've had a chance to mess with it for a while.
AusDisciple

Post by AusDisciple »

Hi everyone. This is my first post here and would like to begin by echoing the sentiments of others in saying how blown away I am at having what is basically an msr16 (I used to use one of those nearly 20 years ago) in my pocket!!
I am a professional sound engineer with my own studio (based on a ProTools rig) and am also a musician (I play keyboards, guitar, bass, drums and trumpet) and have been at this for around 25 years.
I have just purchased MultiTrack and have done a few simple test recordings using only my iPhone's internal mic but I also own an Alesis ProTrack and will be trying that out on a location recording session some time this week.

It is such an awesome thing to have such tools in such a rediculously convenient package!

Well done with this awesome app!
I look forward to sharing my experiences with MultiTrack and working with everyone here in providing user feedback as this evolves.

Cheers,
Dannii.
Keith

Post by Keith »

I wanted to tell all touch users of my success with the Alesis Protrack. With the use of a dock extender (valueoutfitters) and a 90? headphone adapter.
1207091151a.jpg
1207091151a.jpg (59.81 KiB) Viewed 9530 times
1207091151b.jpg
1207091151b.jpg (71 KiB) Viewed 9530 times
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Thanks Keith, I got just got one of those dock extenders and it works great. The one from valueoutfitters even comes with a 90 degree L connector.
jamsden

Post by jamsden »

I've had very good luck with the Belkin Tunetalk. This is a stereo mic, but the separation is pretty poor (in recorders that support stereo). The mic quality is reasonable, but doesn't compare to a good XY stereo mic. It has a fuller frequency response than the iPhone mic which artificially cuts the low end (that can be good for Vocals, but not so good for instruments).

The Tunetalk has a couple of other useful features. There's a USB input so that you can provide power while recording. I find the iPhone battery goes down pretty fast when processing audio. It also has a separate stereo mini input jack for connecting other devices. I use this to connect a Line6 Pocket POD for electric guitar and bass input, or to connect to the audio output of a MIDI keyboard. or small mixer. It works very well. You can use a PODxt or PODx3 too for better quality, but its larger and less convenient for travel.

Tunetalk has an auto gain switch, but I find it adds too much compression to be that useful.
airmanchairman

Post by airmanchairman »

Keith wrote:I wanted to tell all touch users of my success with the Alesis Protrack. With the use of a dock extender (valueoutfitters) and a 90? headphone adapter.
I wondered what on Earth I was doing aimlessly surfing the Web on Xmas day, but now I know it was to pick up this Xmas present of a post from Keith!

I've been sidelined and discouraged by the ProTrack's non-duplex issue for the better part of a month and a half, having purchased it together with a matched pair of Behringer C4's (which coincidentally arrived just before the Xmas break).

Well, I'm off and away on the etherwaves to order my dock extender and headphone adapter.

A Merry Xmas to the brilliant HarmonicDog and Keith in particular and all forum participants in general.
...have a MultiTasking New Year in 2010!!!
lostlogik

Post by lostlogik »

Not sure if anyone's picked up on this yet but good news is Blue have announced at CES an updated Mikey, suitable for iPhone. Look for it in few months, apparently.