Input options and microphones

How to use MultiTrack DAW
davarm

Re: Input options and microphones

Post by davarm »

R Anderson wrote:Reporting back on the compatibility of the Roland Octa-Capture with MT after buying a powered USB hub - no luck :(

Now I must confess that I am not the most technically savvy guy on the block but the powered hub seemed pretty straightforward...

I will continue with my jam connection - which is excellent - until I come upon a suitable alternative that allows more than one input. I do have the Roland Quad on the way which is the new issue of a device that previously was compatible so I am hoping that will be the ticket.

As a side note I ordered the Quad after having such good luck with the Octa-Capture working with Reaper. I am very pleased. My other Mac based gear is Motu and I have always thought it to be very good - the Roland has really surprised me - very nice.
I have the new Roland Duo Capture EX on order and will report back on success or failure.
jseib2293

Post by jseib2293 »

Apparently there is a new interface coming out from focusrite. Scarlett 18i20, and it has 8 mic/line inputs (as well as a number of digital inputs)

Their website suggest it is compatible with ipad. MSRP of 499. Seems to be the first true recording interface with 8 channels for live recording with an ipad.

website specifically mentions ipad:

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-inter ... lett-18i20
R Anderson

Post by R Anderson »

Received my Roland Quad-Capture and it does NOT appear to be compatible.
I was hopeful but no-go.

Russell
Dakota Drummer2

Post by Dakota Drummer2 »

I am looking at the Scarlett 2i4 and the Roland Duo Capture EX.
http://www.roland.com/products/en/DUO-CAPTURE_EX/

Have these been tested?

Also, the H4n does not work with iOS 6 in my experience and in other posts I have read. I would note that here. Also, your h4 and h4n links are flip flopped.

Thanks!
Dakota Drummer2

Post by Dakota Drummer2 »

Gary Stone wrote:Hello all,

This is my first post so let me start by saying what a great app this is! I love it! I've read all these posts and almost glossed over the fact that the Zoom H4n works with MT on the iPad with the Camera Connection Kit. And boy, does it ever! I got into the whole iPad recording thing strictly for demos, so my sound quality requirements aren't through the room by any means, but I'm seriously impressed.

Thanks for a great app! And if you're still looking for an interface that just works, the Zoom H4n is pretty awesome. It has some effects and some amp sims as well. It can take XLR and 1/4" inputs.

I feel lucky that I had one for my DSLR laying around.

Happy tracking!

Gary
Have you used h4n with iOS 6?
bastoe

Post by bastoe »

Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 is listed as working with 4 inputs, but also listed under things that don't work. Please clarify. If that doesn't work I can go with the 18i6, if that works.

I have 6+ inputs I like to show up independantly. Which is the best gear (under$500.00) that could do this with MT?

Was any presonus gear working with this?

Thanks for a great App.

- p.s: tried just hooking up a mackie 32 channel mixer (through usb) http://www.mackie.com/products/3204vlz3/ . MT gave me a choice of 4 mono channels or 2 stereo channels as recognized, however the audio was scratchy and very very low, even when the output was all the way up. The usb is 1.1 so I might have known. Anyway this is why I have to go a different route.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

Thanks for the headsup, I fixed the entry. There was a time when it didn't work, back when iOS only had support for USB 1.1, but now, the focusrite interfaces are working great.
bastoe wrote: Was any presonus gear working with this?
Absolutely, any interface that works with iOS, will work with MultiTrack DAW. This includes all interfaces that are compatible with other apps such as Auria, and they maintain a list of interfaces here: http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces. MultiTrack can take advantage of up to 8 inputs simultaneously, the current version on the app store uses any of the first 8 available, in any combination mono or stereo contingent pairs. I'm working on increasing that limit at this moment.
DavePDX

Post by DavePDX »

I've got a Presonus 1818VSL that works well with MultiTrack, other than the inability to set up the output matrix, which means there's no way to direct sound to the headphone jack on the Presonus. The 1818 uses channels 7 & 8 for that. There are a couple of workarounds:

- Use the headphone jack on the iPad
- Use a headphone amplifier plugged into the mains or channels 1 & 2 of the Presonus
bastoe

Post by bastoe »

On the hookup of a Presonus 8 in/8 out - would I be able to plug the eight instruments/ vocals to the inputs on the Presonus- then take those outputs and run those to the Mackey mixer (main sound board).

So the Presonus would sort of be a splitter sending the signals to both the mixer and mt daw. The focusrite having 6 out would be an ok choice if it would work the same way

Would this work to give 8 channels into MT?

thanks!
ayampols

Post by ayampols »

Just reporting that the "Apogee Duet for iPad & Mac" suffers from severe delay due to the buffer size being improperly set. The interface itself is superb, however, and works well with other DAWs.
Last edited by ayampols on August 3rd, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.