Can't upload anymore...

How to use MultiTrack DAW
superflo

Can't upload anymore...

Post by superflo »

Hi,

my first try to use multitrack as a playback device for multitrack recordings worked nice. Imported 5 Tracks (3 Stereo, 2 mono, 16 bit 44.1 AIFF) and it plays back perfectly.
When trying to upload files into a 2nd song, i could import 3 files. The 4th file failed, i tried several times. I deleted the whole song and started over - can't upload anymore. Accessing via Firefox works as before, but after hitting the "submit" button, it takes about 5-10 minutes, when he's "finished", the page refreshes and i still see the multitrack web page of this second song with no uploaded files in it.
Rebooted the phone, tried files that i sucessfully uploaded into the 1st song...- nothing works. I didn't change anything - how could I have screwed up anything?

Thanks,
Florian
pwnified

Re: Can't upload anymore...

Post by pwnified »

Thanks for the detailed description. Could it be that the device ran out of space? There could be a legitimate bug here that has to do with temporary file space, which might be different from regular filespace, I'll check into this as it seems the only explanation for the problem you describe. If you could please check the amount of free space on the device in iTunes.
superflo

Post by superflo »

Great - i explain everything and forget the Most obvious... But no, its a 3gs 32gb and theres about 12 Gigs Left. At least thats what iTunes Shows to me. And the phone has Never been filled to the max. Now theres One Song in it, using approx. 120 mb.
Guess i'll try to delete and reinstall the App.

BTW: i eventually want to use it As à playback Device for Concerts. We are playing some Kind of classical/Pop/Crossover Songs with à Quite well Known project in germany and when playing only with my Trio (keys, ac.Bass, sax) i want to add some Tracks from the Record production to Fill up the sound a Bit. So i'm just on my Way to à Weekend with 3 Concerts and i want to Test it in the soundcheck Today. Thats Why i Loaded some tracks into the App and Today i want to check out, if this could be à Solution for smaller Concerts and also, musically, which Tracks fit to the Rest thats played live.
Now i can only Test 1 Song today, but thats better than nothing. Have some Tracks on an USB Stick with me and will try Upload it with One of the macbooks of One of my colleagues.

Otherwise Next Week i'll do the delete/reinstall-Thing. If theres anything Else you might Need to Know, please Let me Know.

Florian
Bassemans

Post by Bassemans »

Have the same problem. I'm a new user of the software.
Wifi-connection has been made, the empty song in the iphone app is shown in the PC window. After adding a file e.g. mp3-file, it seems to be uploading, but after a while nothing happened. No file added to the track list and nothing added to the song in the iphone.

What can be wrong? I have a 3 GS 16Gb version.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

That's a really strange problem. All I can say is that it's working perfectly for most people, I know that doesn't help you but I can't really think of more things to check, other than router or firewall software that might be running. It could be some software glitch (apples fault) that breaks the networking of MultiTrack. Reinstalling has been known fix it. I've never seen this firsthand but it seems to affect a small percentage of users.

If you record in MultiTrack, can you download the tracks to computer? Try recording a couple minutes of material and give it a try, and keep an eye at the browsers download window and check out the speed that the download is going. Try uploading the file just downloaded back into MultiTrack, it should be the same amount of time. And try a couple different files for uploading. If you can isolate it to a specific configuration or mp3 file, or slow network speed, let me know. If you can, try a computer that is wired to the router rather than wireless. Sometimes Windows (Vista, etc.) has firewall software or other blocking software that disallows file transfer so try disabling everything you can, maybe lowering the privacy setting. Feel free to contact me by email with more information about your setup.
Bassemans

Post by Bassemans »

Hi,
I'm using a XP-machine, with wired connection to the router.
* downloading recording material (a single track) doesn't work: immediately a http 404-page
* downloading the stereo mix almost the same problem: at first the iPhone app start running "creating mix" and "demultiplexing" and then the http 404-page shows up.

I tried several files for uploading (different mp3's and wav's). I shut down the firewall, this didn't change anything.

So, what's next to try?
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I'm going to have you re-install MultiTrack. It's easy to do, first sync your iPhone so that MultiTrack gets transferred into iTunes (you can also right click the iPhone in iTunes and select 'Transfer Purchases'). If you have any songs you would like to keep, right click on the iPhone and select 'Back Up'. Now you can delete MultiTrack from the iPhone by touch holding the icon. Back in iTunes, sync again and it will get put back on the iPhone (you may have to place a checkmark next to MultiTrack in iTunes to enable it for syncing). You can restore your songs by right click and select 'Restore from Backup...'

You dont have to worry about loosing MultiTrack because you can always download it again from the App Store for free. The App Store will remember which applications you own. If you don't have songs that you want to keep, this is the easiest way.

I'm interested to see if that solves the problem. It would be more confirmation that there is sometimes a problem with the way apps get installed.
superflo

Post by superflo »

Hi pwnified,

back home again this week, i did uninstall and reinstall the software (no itunes-backup-sync-thing) and uploading works perfectly again. Also a 2nd login into multitrack right now did work, i deleted one file and replaced it. Hope it works longer now - but good to know there's a way to backup songs!

Will report if there's a problem again.

Bye for now,
Florian from Austria (no cangoroos... ;-)
jamsden

Post by jamsden »

I'm still having this problem too. I wrote a Ruby program to transfer MultiTrack songs and tracks to a Reaper project. I was able to download tracks. Used the Reaper program to download all tracks. No the MultiTrack download no longer works. But my Ruby program is able to download the files. I'm using similar HTTP URLs in the Ruby program. Once the downloads stop working from the browser, it doesn't matter which machine I try to do the downloads from - PC or Mac. Re-installing MultiTrack fixes the problem for a while, but then the downloads start failing again.

One possible explanation: if MultiTrack download fails for some reason - perhaps because of combined wireless connections (iPhone and downloading computer both on WiFi), then MultiTrack is left in some bad state and the server no longer responds properly to HTTP GET. I also noticed that when MultiTrack's downloads fail, downloading from FiRe crashes FiRe.

So I think there's a bug here somewhere.

I'm creating a simple UI for my MultiTrack to Reaper converter/importer in Ruby using RubyCocoa which will result in a simple Mac app that can be easily deployed. When I get that done, I'll post it (with source) somewhere, and maybe that can be used to help debug this situation.
pwnified

Post by pwnified »

I've updated the bug with your new findings. Anything else you guys can tell us about how to get this to fail, would help. Like the OS on the computer, type of router and router firmware version, iPhone/iPod and version OS, web browser type and version. Does the Wifi have a strong connection to the router, or is it on the verge of loosing connection? Does it help to reboot the router, computer, or iPhone/iPod? Does FiRe still crash after rebooting the iPhone? Or does a reinstall of MultiTrack cure the problem in all cases? Or just installing any app (any free app in the app store) also fix the network problem without a reboot? There might be a bug with the iPhone IP stack and the way it handles congestion window requests, so a weak connection might trigger it. If I can get the problem to happen here, it shouldn't be too hard to debug.